Q: Arms & Equipment Guide

Shin Okada

Explorer
I have found this book on the shelf of nearby hobby shop. But I can't glance the inside (it is in a vinyl sack) and wondering if I should buy it or not. What kind of information are in this book? How was your impression.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
It's decent. I'm not sure I'd buy if you already have Arms and Armor by Bastion Press. But it's a decent utility book IF it's marked down.

Anavel Gato

First Post
If it is the new WotC arms and equipment, it is nothing special.
there are a few new armor types, like Bark, and Coral. Some new weapons. I have had it since it came out and have not used it once. It was a bit disappointing when compared to the AD&D arms and equipment of second edition. that's my take on it. Not really worth the money.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The inside is like a splatbook, but with more.

It's got some decent stuff...hirelings, mounts, and, of course, equipment. A lot of specific magic weapons., though nothing you probably couldn't htink of on your own.

I've used it quite a bit, but then, flying whale zepplins aren't exactly out of place IMC...:)

But the inside is black and white, with the odd sketch...nothing like the full-color glory of some of the other Splat Book +'s.

I'll second the vote on getting From Stone to Steel instead. More expensive, true, but a much better resource, broken down by culture, and with a historical look at weapons and armor, as well as stats for hundreds of examples.

Gothmog

First Post
Arms & Equipment Guide is a very mediocre book, and not worth picking up unless you can find it for more than 25% or so off. Two other books are worth picking up though.

1) If you are looking for basically ONLY armor and weapons, then From Stone to Steel is a good resource.

2) For lots of non-weapon, non-magical items of equipment, Mongoose's Ultimate Equipment is a good buy. It also has a bunch of new kinds of armor and weapons, from many 3rd party sources.

IMO, the better buy of the two books for its versatility is the Mongoose book.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Arms and Equipment Guide looks like it was originally designed to be a softback book, but was converted to a hardback late in the process. The cover border/corners, and the spine match the other softbacks, and unlike every other WotC hardback, this one is in B&W.

The chapters are:
1: Weapons and Armor (new types and materials)
2: Adventuing Gear
3: Vehicles (water, air, and land)
4: Hirelings and Creatures (companions, pets, & mounts)
5: Magic Items
6: Special Magic Items (intelligent items, cursed items, artifacts)

Olive

Explorer
Havilor said:
If you're looking for a solid weapons and armor book, you can't go wrong with From Stone to Steel.

A few people have said that From Stone to steel is massive overload if you're playing in a fairly standard medieval mileau...

Remove ads