How to use a WIKI THREAD
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frazzled
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Block Morrus

Friend+

How to use a WIKI THREAD

You can now create collaborative("Wiki") threads.

A wiki thread is one which anybody can edit. If you have a collaborative project you would like to start, a wiki thread is the way to do it. When you designate your thread as a wiki thread, anybody can edit the first post. You can turn off the wiki function at any time (reverting it to a normal post) or you - as the thread starter - can "revert" any changes you choose to.

This applies to the first post in your thread only. Others can reply to the thread as normal. Only the first post is wikiable.

Collaborative projects might include: lists, collections of information, shared projects, shared words/settings, and more.

To start a wiki thread, just start a thread anywhere on the forum as normal. Below the main text box you will see this:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 23.54.13.png
Views: 892
Size:  84.4 KB

You can also toggle wiki on or off on any of your existing threads (even those which were not originally created as wiki threads) by simply editing your first post and checking or unchecking the wiki option.

If the post has been vandalised (or just changed in ways you, as the post owner, do not agree with) you can revert it by click on the "edited by...." notification.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 23.58.49.png
Views: 234
Size:  34.4 KB

That will take you to a screen like this:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 00.00.29.png
Views: 234
Size:  53.9 KB

You will know you are looking at a wiki thread because you will see two things. (1) You will see a bar at the top denoting it is a wiki thread. (2) You will see an EDIT button, even though it's not your post.

Name:  thread.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  282.8 KB

If you're looking at a forum, wiki threads will be highlighted in yellow like this:

Name:  yellow.png
Views: 223
Size:  98.6 KB

You can start a wiki thread in any forum. It will remain a wiki thread unless you turn it off.

Here is an example wiki thread.

Save
    Save
    Last edited by Morrus; Tuesday, 30th May, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    ENnies

Block Blue

Friend+
    This is great! Thanks!

Is it possible for the owner to convert an existing thread to a wiki thread? I'm thinking specifically to some of the 5e class guides.

Frazzled
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews
    EN World EN5ider13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Block Morrus

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    This is great! Thanks!

Is it possible for the owner to convert an existing thread to a wiki thread? I'm thinking specifically to some of the 5e class guides.
    In the post above.

Dusty Dragon COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

Block Ancalagon

Friend+
    Can someone *not* the owner of the thread toggle the switch? Could lead to shenanigans...

Frazzled
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Reviews
    Read 23 Reviews

Block Morrus

Friend+
    Nope. Except a mod/admin.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Lanefan

Friend+
    Once these wiki threads get settled in, any chance of changing the way they're highlighted in the forum list? I use the classic orange-on-black setup, and the wiki threads come out as bright bars across the screen.

My suggestion, with no idea of the practicalities involved, would be to instead just change the colour of the thread title itself to highlight a wiki...instead of orange in the orange-on-black, for example, make the thread title's lettering red, or blue, or green.

Lanefan

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Sir Brennen

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanefan View Post
    Once these wiki threads get settled in, any chance of changing the way they're highlighted in the forum list? I use the classic orange-on-black setup, and the wiki threads come out as bright bars across the screen.

My suggestion, with no idea of the practicalities involved, would be to instead just change the colour of the thread title itself to highlight a wiki...instead of orange in the orange-on-black, for example, make the thread title's lettering red, or blue, or green
    Or perhaps a different icon (or subject tag) that's independent of color scheme?
    XP SkidAce gave XP for this post

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Lanefan

Friend+
    For @Morrus or anyone who deals with such things:

In case it matters, it seems that editing the initial post in a wiki thread does not bounce the thread to the top of the thread list (by timestamp order) the same way adding a new post does.

The risk here is that some wiki threads that may be often edited and-or referred to but not often posted to (e.g. the Convention List wiki in general RPG discussion) risk falling off the first page - and thus being forgotten or missed by casual or infrequent visitors - unless they are stickied.

Lanefan

When I make a change to a first post (my own or a wiki), I consider it best practice to make a post at the end of the thread stating what I've done, which also causes the thread to be bumped.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Block pukunui

Friend+
    Something I've just encountered: Two people editing a wiki thread at the same time ... my edit got lost while the other person's got saved. Luckily I was able to hit back on the browser window and copy/paste my text and then go through and add it back in.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply