D&D 5E Ideas for Dwarven Calvalry

IronWarrior18

First Post
Hello all! I'm running my first game of 5E and I'm homebrewing up a lot of lore to go with my world. One thing I've been trying to think of is some kind of Calvary mount for dwarves. I've considered horses, boars, and even bears as elite mounts for a powerful group of dwarves in my lore. I'm wondering if anyone could throw other suggestions my way, since I just feel like I'm missing some possibilities. A mount that would function well underground is preferable, since these dwarves live miles below and would need a mount that can easily traverse the terrain. I am open to homebrewed ideas! Also, I've considered bulettes as a possibility, would that be to OP? Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Giant beetles or lizards would both serve the underground purpose.

The other idea--and this is something I did with duergar in my own campaign, but it could work for other kinds of dwarves--is this:

Trained war basilisks. The basilisks wear a head-harness that includes thin red crystal lenses. They're not thick enough to block the basilisks' gaze. The dwarven cavalry wear helmets with green crystal lenses, also thin enough not to block vision.

But the two colors together brown out enough that the cavalry and the basilisks can't meet each other's gaze, so the riders can't be petrified by their mounts.

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'm partial to the dwarves of Tolkien and their dislike for mounted travel, so I think of a dwarven "cavalry" as composed of dwarves riding in war-wagons, drawn by ponies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Giant beetles or lizards would both serve the underground purpose.

The other idea--and this is something I did with duergar in my own campaign, but it could work for other kinds of dwarves, is this:

Trained war basilisks. The basilisks wear a head-harness that includes thin red crystal lenses. They're not thick enough to block the basilisks' gaze. The dwarven cavalry wear helmets with green crystal lenses, also thin enough not to block vision.

But the two colors together brown out enough that the cavalry and the basilisks can't meet each other's gaze, so the riders can't be petrified by their mounts.

While I'm not a fan of the basilisk mounts idea in general, I can offer a slightly different take on your lens tech that really dovetails nicely with dwarves culture. Instead of color, use polarization.

Humans discovered the basic concept in the mid 1600s as I recall. Dwarves who are so much more familiar with stones than humans would have a head start, I'd think. And add in the longer lifespans of dwarves craftsmen, alchemists and so forth...

And since polarization doesn't require significant tinting, those lenses/visors would be essentially crystal clear.

cmad1977

Hero
Giant Rams.

I don't know what animal might work underground but I don't really think underground mounted combat is particularly feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronWarrior18

First Post
That's the same thing I thought at first, since most animals aren't suited for movement underground. But then I considered that there are plenty of predators underground which are quick and big enough to ride, so why not try to find a mount?

IronWarrior18

First Post
Basilisks are a very interesting idea, I'll keep them in mind! They would certainly be fearsome in battle. Imagine a battlefield would look more like an art display after they're done.

The Hobbit movies had dwarf cavalry riding goats, which I found to be a good fit despite the films' shortcomings - they dwell in mountains, and, like dwarves, are known for their beards.

Remove ads