D&D 5E Ideas for Dwarven Calvalry

Zardnaar

Legend
In 2E we had A Dwarf priest named Belfar. He had minor access to animal sphere and charmed an elephant. The fighter trained it they built a howdah and they buffed it with spells like stoneskin.

They named him Clive. Lasted longer than the horses RIP Bob 1- Bob 32.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I think the stereotypical go-to mounts for dwarves tend to be boar, rams, or goats. Bears are another solid choice. Generally speaking if might be considered a tough and surly animal people are likely to see the connection.

That said, if you want to really play up the subterranean nature of your dwarves I think the suggestions of some sort of lizard or insect are really good. A giant lizard that can walk on cavern walls and ceilings could be pretty cool and giant spiders might have a similar feel. I'm personally partial to the idea of giant beetles, with thick armoured carapaces they seem fitting.

Perhaps it's not just one type of animal though. Why not giant beetles or spiders for battle in the underground passages and caverns but also maintaining boar cavalry for surface warfare where speed and a furious charge is more important than the wall-crawling mobility of the subterranean mounts? Not the worst idea, plus it lets you pick a couple of different mounts you like the most instead of having to pick one.

MarkB

Legend
If you're going with insects, how about giant ants? Steers clear of the Drow connotations of spiders, and the dwarves could breed them in enormous ant farms, with the queen trained to direct them in formation. Maybe the dwarven general could even ride the queen into battle.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
The Hobbit movies had dwarf cavalry riding goats, which I found to be a good fit despite the films' shortcomings - they dwell in mountains, and, like dwarves, are known for their beards.

Goats are my first thought too. A mountain goat is strong, sturdy, and can climb and jump with surprising agility in the mountainous and scabrous environments where dwarves dwell. Most of their enemies would be on the sort of mounts that can't navigate that terrain and so would need to be abandoned (giving the dwarven cavalry an advantage).

Oofta

Legend
In my world different clans have different focuses. So some are more overland traders, others are deep miners.

So as others have suggested, have different mounts for different groups. I like the ideas of giant ants - I may have to steal that one. There could always be variations of Rothe (dwarven cows) as well.

Corwin

Explorer
Real dwarves ride bears!

war_bears_set_01.jpg

Tony Vargas

Legend
some kind of Calvary mount for dwarves. I've considered horses, boars, and even bears A mount that would function well underground is preferable... I am open to homebrewed ideas!
D&D traditionally considers horses un-suitable for underground adventuring (though mules are OK according to D&D tradition, so if you want a somewhat comedic cavalry).

Riding Lizards have been a thing in D&D. Giant spider-climbing cave lizards, for instance, might be good. You could have a tactic where the dwarven cavalry charges 4-abreast down a 10x10 corridor - one on the floor, one on the cieling, one on each wall!

You could swipe Alan Dean Foster's L'borean Riding Snake, the Cadillac of multi-rider fantasy mounts, with crossbowdwarves firing in series as the mount's sinuous movement brings them clear of their fellow riders.

Drakes - whatever exactly you picture them to be, devolved draconoids, domesticated reptiles, fantasy dinosaurs - would also be a reasonable, though less traditional, option.

Constructs could also be good, dwarves love working stone & metal, afterall, and they don't require fodder.

Also, I've considered bulettes as a possibility, would that be to OP?
Yes, but in a fun way. Maybe they could have a lesser 'tame' version, perhaps with an enlarged dorsal plate that shields the rider when tunneling?

Any underground critter could work, really, if you could picture a sufficiently brave & clever dwarf saddling it up.

pogre

Legend
I would be looking at what I could find miniatures for - bears are widely available as Dwarven Mounts as are Rams:
14607_w_1.jpg

There are some nice figures with Dwarves on Boars. I like the pigs idea, because they would be easy to maintain under the surface. The idea that you could smell the dwarves before you see them amuses me as well.

Remove ads