D&D 5E Survivor Volo's Races: LIZARDFOLK WIN!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The thing is, all three goblinoids (and to a lesser extent, the lizardfolk) have a pretty strongly defined place in Eberron, where PC's of those races aren't entirely out of the ordinary. I'm not aware of any similar strong connections from any of the other races in any other major setting.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised the cat people lasted as long as they did.

Argyle King

Legend
The thing is, all three goblinoids (and to a lesser extent, the lizardfolk) have a pretty strongly defined place in Eberron, where PC's of those races aren't entirely out of the ordinary. I'm not aware of any similar strong connections from any of the other races in any other major setting.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised the cat people lasted as long as they did.

For me, Tabaxi are the closest thing D&D has to Khajiit from the Elder Scrolls series. (minus the whole phase of the moon determining birth deal that Khajiit have going on in ES)

They're also similar enough to Woem, a catfolk race I have in a homebrew setting, that I can update a lot of the old stuff I've written without doing a whole lot of work to convert to 5th. In a similar way, some of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy stuff I have (which has catfolk) becomes easier to convert.

Others are

Volund

Explorer
I don't really care which one wins at this point. All 3 are fun, have good stats, and none of them are cats.

Goblin 11
Hobgoblin 12
Lizard 14

Yaarel

He Mage
Goblin 11
Hobgoblin 10
Lizardfolk 15

Hobgoblin - the name means a good-hearted fairy prankster - but D&D misuses the name to mean a Star Trek Klingon.

Lizardfolk - the name is what it says it is - and mechanics are decent to actualize what people expect it to do - a reliable D&D product

Remove ads