• No, I don't use digital tools

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • No, I don't like subscriptions

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • No, the one-time cost is too high

Votes: 25 11.2%

Dualazi

First Post
Nope, though the reason isn't listed in the poll; I already have a digital character sheet manager (roll20) that performs its job well enough that further expenditures toward that end would be a waste. Even if roll20 didn't exist it wasn't super hard to make an editable pdf or something to use your character sheet electronically.

Raith5

Adventurer
I dont understand how 5e really needs it. We hardly even use the PHB during play. The only people who use the PhB at the table are the spell casters.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Maybe, it depends whether the subscription ever brings any interesting benefits. I'll probably drop some money on the PHB and MM at the initial sale price, so I have a complete online browsing resource, since, as a compendium, the app has proved extremely useful during beta.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Yes. I've seen enough to know that it will be useful to me and how I run a game and also to have developed confidence in the creators and the future of the product. To have a single laptop in front of me to access all the information I need to run a game is something I've wanted for years. Doing it currently is a kludge of PDF's, Google Docs, imgur, etc. None of the other options like Roll 20 or FG interested me and were too complicated/convoluted for my needs and were too expensive for my tastes. DDB gives me what I want: simplicity, functionality, and customisation, at what I consider to be a reasonable price.

JonnyP71

Explorer
I'm a dinosaur, pencil and paper works, no new-fangled gadgetry needed to run a good game. In fact most of the time it just gets in the way.

Dire Bare

Legend
Pricing has been announced.
We finally have the long anticipated and oft demanded digital tools for D&D 5e.

Free if your DM has a more expensive subscription. One time payment for each book. Monthly subscription for more character slots and homebrew.

Are you planning on paying?

This is a pretty flawed poll. "Hero Tier" (player) subscriptions aren't free if your DM has a "Master Tier" subscription, the two subscription levels offer different things. If I'm a player with a free account, and I've joined a campaign with a DM that has the Master Tier subscription, I still don't have unlimited character slots and still can't use community homebrew content when creating my characters. However, I can use official content my DM has unlocked and my DM's homebrew content, that's it. And, as others have pointed out, your poll options don't really cover the available options for the service very well.

At launch, I'll be purchasing access to the three core books, and maybe Volo's Guide and the SCAG. I won't be subscribing just yet, mostly as I'm not currently playing. If I start having a blast and running through my free character slots, I might consider subbing at the Hero Tier. Later, next time I run a game, I might purchase access to more books and/or subscribe at the Master Tier, completely depends on the specifics of the game and group. If I decide to run an official adventure path, like say, "Curse of Strahd", I just might do so, even if we are playing at a real, non-virtual, table. The more features that go live, the more likely I will purchase more book access and/or subscribe.

I'm debating whether to try running a virtual game in the near-future, and I already jumped the gun and purchased some of the official D&D packages for Fantasy Grounds. Paying to access a book on Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond has some overlap in features, I'd probably only want to pay for that access once, either for the virtual tabletop or the Beyond service. Not sure which yet, but I'll worry more about it when the time comes.

mflayermonk

First Post
I've got a question- is it $3 per month if you buy a year all at once? So its $36 a year, but if I just want one month its $5 or $6?
I could see myself subscribing for a month of two, paying $3 to use it at a convention and not haul books around.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
I'm a dinosaur, pencil and paper works, no new-fangled gadgetry needed to run a good game. In fact most of the time it just gets in the way.
I find the exact opposite. Having six books plus notes, plus maps, plus minis, plus a hundred odd dice (and in 5e, you need that many, especially as a DM), all at the table, and all needed to flip through constantly to reference, gets in the way and having it all on a notebook in front of me minus all that junk, is far faster and easier.

I've got a question- is it $3 per month if you buy a year all at once? So its $36 a year, but if I just want one month its $5 or $6?
I could see myself subscribing for a month of two, paying $3 to use it at a convention and not haul books around.
The two subscription types are for different purposes, not different lengths of time. The $3 USD amount is a for the Hero Tier which means you don't get ads on the site, can both publish your own homebrew and use other people's published homebrew, and get unlimited character slots instead of the six you get with a free account. The $6 USD per month amount is for the Master Tier, intended for DM's.

Remove ads