• No, 5e is simple and I don't need e-tools

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • No, I don't use digital tools

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • No, I don't like subscriptions

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • No, the one-time cost is too high

Votes: 25 11.2%

This is a pretty flawed poll. "Hero Tier" (player) subscriptions aren't free if your DM has a "Master Tier" subscription, the two subscription levels offer different things. If I'm a player with a free account, and I've joined a campaign with a DM that has the Master Tier subscription, I still don't have unlimited character slots and still can't use community homebrew content when creating my characters. However, I can use official content my DM has unlocked and my DM's homebrew content, that's it. And, as others have pointed out, your poll options don't really cover the available options for the service very well
There were 7 options already that covered the major beats. Arguably too many choices. I chose not to add more to cover choices like "no, but my DM will" or "I'll buy during sales."

Oofta

Legend
Yes, and I will share it with my group to use it so we can all be "official". I know I've made mistakes when calculating things like AC (I thought for a couple of sessions that mithral armor let you add dex to AC. Oops.) It just makes it easier. That, and having things like easier access to spells, feats and items makes it easier for me to be a judge.

If I can scan through people's character sheets before the game it will be easier for me to catch things I need to double check, especially since I have too many editions rolling around in my head. Not that I want, or need, to nerf my player's characters but so that I understand how spells work and so I can make suggestions if some application is not obvious.

JonnyP71

Explorer
PHB, MM, DMG, SCAG, Volo's, SKT.

Why even play using a system when you're just going to ignore it anyway?

I think we played for about 6 months, weekly sessions, with only the PHB being used (for spells), and the MM used by the DM.

When I DM I keep a handwritten table listing key points about the monsters I intend to use (AC, HP range, standard attacks and damage and quick bullet points about special abilities - I only tend to look stuff up if I forget something specific, or the monster is particularly complex), but for the vast majority of monsters it suffices.

Playing quickly and smoothly is more important than getting every little detail right! I'd hate to play at any table where stuff is constantly being looked up, and players are unable to accept sensible on the spot rulings.

I have the DMG, SCAG and Volos, and there is absolutely no need to ever take them to gaming sessions.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I'd pay a couple of bucks to have online access to the various rulebooks (for convenience during Internet discussions if nothing else) but not a large amount, and besides I haven't heard of any such thing as part of D&D beyond.

This is already part of DDB; they call it the Compendium, and I've found it very handy. (In fact it was up before the character builder was) It wouldn't require a subscription, just a one-time purchase of the books you want. That said, while I find their pricing model very reasonable, you might not.

The SRD is already part of the compendium, and already available at DDB for free. I've found it very handy.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I had the 4e subscription that included everything but was more expensive - but the rate of new content was a price driver to paying more, and the slow rate I don't mind a one-time fee instead of an increased monthly fee as much.

I really like their Master subscription that lets you bring new players into the game without forcing them to buy things. Actually, as a consumer I think the Master subscription is a very good idea.

This is already part of DDB; they call it the Compendium, and I've found it very handy. (In fact it was up before the character builder was) It wouldn't require a subscription, just a one-time purchase of the books you want. That said, while I find their pricing model very reasonable, you might not.

The SRD is already part of the compendium, and already available at DDB for free. I've found it very handy.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using EN World mobile app

I really like their Master subscription that lets you bring new players into the game without forcing them to buy things. Actually, as a consumer I think the Master subscription is a very good idea.
I think it will still be misunderstood and people will complain about price. This is from experience with FG. How often do people complain about the FG price model because they don't understand it? All the time. And their Ultimate license is akin to the DDB Master subscription. Both allow others to join/use at no cost to the player, but still people try and claim that FG costs an outrageous amount.

People get ideas in their heads, and this will be one of them (that they have to purchase something in order to do anything useful with DDB).

Ganymede81

First Post
I doubt I'll subscribe.

What most excited me about D&D Beyond were the potential game management tools, but the open beta's only real campaign feature was the ability to share notes with your players.

Where's the game calendar? Where's the initiative tracker? Where's the encounter builder with die rollers and HP trackers integrated into monster stat blocks?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I doubt I'll subscribe.

What most excited me about D&D Beyond were the potential game management tools, but the open beta's only real campaign feature was the ability to share notes with your players.

Where's the game calendar? Where's the initiative tracker? Where's the encounter builder with die rollers and HP trackers integrated into monster stat blocks?

They've been very open about the fact that the campaign manager is currently bare bones and that added features are in the works. The campaign manager was the last "phase" of the beta, although it opened when the character builder did. I have the impression that they released it when they did and as bare bones as they did primarily to give DMs the option to add players to their campaigns so they had the benefit of the Master Tier subscription. Given how responsive they've been to feedback during the beta, I am confident they are working on more tools for the campaign management area and that those tools will arrive. At the same time, if campaign management is your primary interest in DDB, it makes sense to wait to plunk down any money until it is has the features you want/need.

Remove ads