• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scales of War Epic Tier (Storyline Questions)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm looking to run the epic tier of Scales of War, converted to 5E, as a follow-up to Tyranny of Dragons. I plan to do this by crafting a transitional adventure and then jumping in with Grasp of the Mantled Citadel. (Hopefully I'll have time to use the conversions at https://5escalesofwar.wordpress.com/, if they update again soon.) I really love the storyline, and I wanted to give my players a chance to go planes-hopping at high levels, so this should be perfect.

Anyway, in reading over the last few adventures, I have some questions about the story. I'm curious whether anyone has suggestions for how to handle these aspects, or maybe stories of how it went at your table. Some of this stuff may also be explained in earlier parts of the adventure path--I didn't read the earlier parts.

1. At the end of Grasp of the Mantled Citadel, the PCs return to "home base" and are informed that Bahamut is dead. How do people on the material plane know about that?

2. The PCs go through a great deal to get the Arrow of Fate, and then the Arrow hardly plays any role at all in the rest of the adventure. Any ideas on how to make it more relevant?

3. Is the Io/Bahamut/Tiamat origin story unique to the 4E setting, or does that appear in earlier versions of D&D too?

4. I don't think the Broodmothers will work in this context, since Tiamat will just have escaped from the Nine Hells and hasn't had time to start a breeding program. I could always just make them ancient chromatic dragons and skip the bit about the eggs, but has anyone ever done anything unusual for that section?

5. I'd also appreciate being pointed to any good threads or blogs discussing tips on how to run these adventures.

Tony Vargas

Legend
3. Is the Io/Bahamut/Tiamat origin story unique to the 4E setting, or does that appear in earlier versions of D&D too?
AFAIK, Io was a 4e creation. Bahamut & Tiamat go way back as diametrically opposed greatest of the metallic & chromatic dragons, respectively, but just very potent monsters, not deities.

I guess they've been with the game long enough for some promotions...

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
4. I don't think the Broodmothers will work in this context, since Tiamat will just have escaped from the Nine Hells and hasn't had time to start a breeding program. I could always just make them ancient chromatic dragons and skip the bit about the eggs, but has anyone ever done anything unusual for that section?
I found a note at the Power Score Guide to Tiamat saying that in AD&D, she had five consorts in her lair. The five ancient dragons could be them, instead of the broodmothers.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Just finished Grasp of the Mantled Citadel, but my players are determined not to go back until they find the lich's phylactery. Did I just miss it, or is it definitely not in the castle? For any who have run this adventure, where did you place it?

Remove ads