New Season 7 Death Curse rules posted

I haven't played AL, but I'd expect a character who died to be dead. Is resurrection that common for AL play? It has almost never happened in my 35+ years of home and public non-RPGA or AL games.

There are many ways to stave off death once a PC dies in 5e. Revivify (3rd) can get them back in action if rendered in under a minute. Then you start the chain of resurrection magics, from Raise Dead (5th), Resurrection (7th) and True Resurrection (9th) + Reincarnate (5th). So returning from the dead is not all that challenging once characters get the ability to cast 3rd level spells.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
There are many ways to stave off death once a PC dies in 5e. Revivify (3rd) can get them back in action if rendered in under a minute. Then you start the chain of resurrection magics, from Raise Dead (5th), Resurrection (7th) and True Resurrection (9th) + Reincarnate (5th). So returning from the dead is not all that challenging once characters get the ability to cast 3rd level spells.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with the magic that's potentially available (it's generally not in my home campaigns). Even though it is available, I was more curious as to how frequently people actually do resurrect their characters vs starting a new one. That's what I'd do.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I've only had one player ditch a character, and that was a level 1 Monk. I think once someone gets a decent magic item, that's incentive enough. Of course, death is rare in AL, so it could be I just have a small sample size.

Though I do know of someone who lost a level 7 Ranger to a Disintegrate in Season 5 (because, you know, Tier 2 characters should totally be fighting level 11 spellcasters, way to go AL) and has been begging people for months to find a way to bring the character back to life. They could have just made a new Ranger and been higher level by now, I'm sure.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with the magic that's potentially available (it's generally not in my home campaigns). Even though it is available, I was more curious as to how frequently people actually do resurrect their characters vs starting a new one. That's what I'd do.

The only characters I've had die were either engaged in a hard cover campaign at Tier 2 or 3, or, in last year's Open where the res was sort of automatically bestowed. Starting a new PC in those circumstances wasn't the most convenient thing to do at the moment and if you can come back from the dead, then, why not?

Probably depends greatly on how often people get to play. The less time someone has to just mess around making up random 1st level characters and the more rarely they get to play, say once or twice a month versus once or twice a week, the more likely they will be attached to a character that dies. Besides, as others have said, if you made a character you really like and it is still under the 5th level cutoff, then why not take the free rez?

Remove ads