New Season 7 Death Curse rules posted

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I have to say thank you to the mods (and to the EN World members). This thread has been way less toxic from the "Yay Curse" crowd than the AL FB group. It looked like it was going there, but thankfully got nipped in the bud. And thank you to the admins for listening to player feedback. I still have a character that I probably won't play because of the curse (I've been lucky to only have one die). Unfortunately, she's also the one I'd most like to play in Chult (moon druid).

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Nope, its about a year in length.

So if Season 7 is going to last a year, does this mean it's going to run concurrently with Season 8 (which should launch when the new adventure is released in March/April 2018, and we know WotC has an adventure in the pipe)?

--
Pauper

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
True, but if it follows the existing pattern, the new hardcover adventure should be out in March/April 2018. (Mike Mearls has stated that WotC plans to release two adventures per year through 2018, so unless that plan has changed, there's no reason to expect any delay in the next AL season.)

I get that you might have info you can't share, but if this is an indication that the Spring 2018 storyline is being delayed or even cancelled, that's pretty big news.

--
Pauper

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Apropos of nothing, some FR lore:

How is this Death Curse going to affect Szass Tam? Or Larloch and his subjugated liches? Or the vampire Manshoon-clone that used to run Westgate?

Might not the various uber-powerful undead characters across FR - who all used to be living and had to die to achieve their current state - take exception to his antics and magi-nuke him for his temerity, to actually mess with THEM PERSONALLY?

CapnZapp

Legend
Apropos of nothing, some FR lore:

How is this Death Curse going to affect Szass Tam? Or Larloch and his subjugated liches? Or the vampire Manshoon-clone that used to run Westgate?

Might not the various uber-powerful undead characters across FR - who all used to be living and had to die to achieve their current state - take exception to his antics and magi-nuke him for his temerity, to actually mess with THEM PERSONALLY?
I believe it is up to the player characters to deal with it.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

nswanson27

First Post
Overall I'd say that the rules as posted is very complicated/confusing, both in their effect as well as what they're implied intent is. Why is there is there an effect between my characters if one completes a s7 T3 vs some other season, and why should this matter?
Is the point here to make players more afraid of death? If so, then why not just take away the faction raises?

The whole thing feels very out of place and just ...bizarre...

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Actually, I expect you aren't one of the most affected. You can have a character do a T3 and exempt all your characters from the curse. The really affected players have a single low level character that was previously revived by Revivify and will be permanently at zero hp once the season starts (assuming they don't know about the rule when they sit down at the table and have their characters collapse). The second worst group are new players with one or two Level 3 and below characters for whom D&D just became a perma-death game. Even if a particular adventure offers a "you can get revived despite the rules saying you can't" ability, the hp loss will kill them in a few days anyway.

I haven't played AL, but I'd expect a character who died to be dead. Is resurrection that common for AL play? It has almost never happened in my 35+ years of home and public non-RPGA or AL games.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh yeah, if you can afford it, you can be raised from the dead easily. In fact, if you're 1st-4th level, you get brought back to life for free by your faction, though you do forfeit xp and rewards for the adventure you died in.

CapnZapp

Legend
I haven't played AL, but I'd expect a character who died to be dead. Is resurrection that common for AL play? It has almost never happened in my 35+ years of home and public non-RPGA or AL games.
The docs specify each town offers the Raise Dead service for a nominal sum.

This has been the case all the way back to season 1 (I think)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads