One Shots - Discussions

EarlyBird

Explorer
Question, for the Group D character, could I go with a Tabaxi Ranger, using the Revised Ranger UA with the Deep Stalker archetype? I just have this amazing vision of a dual wielding jungle cat hiding in the dark, waiting to pounce on his enemies...

And the crazy fun begins. Have no ideal what a Tabaxi revised ranger is even close to. But after some goggling, I think it best we stay away form UA as some of that stuff says it is playtest material. We can make a a Tabaxi Ranger easy enough. Just take elf Drow and re-skin what the character looks like (panther Khajiit). But why not take rogue assassin instead of ranger, when you get the drop on someone you could end up doing... let's say 5th lvl: dagger 2d4 + sneak attack 6d6 + dex (at least +4).

I am open to discussing pros and cons of UA, but perhaps there is a thread around that I can read.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Uh, Tabaxi is from Volo's guide to Monsters, not UA. It's official DND Adventure League official.

The revised Ranger is UA, but that's because the ranger as is sucks and even WotC has come to believe it. All UA is playtest material. Of course, with the new book of Crunch coming out next month, the playtest Revised Ranger will likely become an official Ranger Variant.

But there's nothing wrong with a Tabaxi. It's legit, in an official book. It was even listed as a race to choose from on the character creation post, so I'm not sure why I'd have to reckon a dark elf for a race that was offered as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
And the crazy fun begins. Have no ideal what a Tabaxi revised ranger is even close to. But after some goggling, I think it best we stay away form UA as some of that stuff says it is playtest material. We can make a a Tabaxi Ranger easy enough. Just take elf Drow and re-skin what the character looks like (panther Khajiit). But why not take rogue assassin instead of ranger, when you get the drop on someone you could end up doing... let's say 5th lvl: dagger 2d4 + sneak attack 6d6 + dex (at least +4).

I am open to discussing pros and cons of UA, but perhaps there is a thread around that I can read.
Every time a UA comes out, a thread starts :)

All UA are playtest materials. Sime of them are coming out in the next book in November, all clean and polished for play.

Tabaxi is a PC race from Volo's Guide to Monsters.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

EarlyBird

Explorer
Sorry still new the Tabaxi I looked up said it was playtesting. So are we saying the Revised ranger will be coming out in NOV? and you wish to get a jump on it?

I did not know there was another book I still need to order my SCAG. And now VOLO too. Sigh you should have seen the stack during the brown complete books back during 2e, I needed a duffel bag to go to games.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Sorry still new the Tabaxi I looked up said it was playtesting. So are we saying the Revised ranger will be coming out in NOV? and you wish to get a jump on it?

I did not know there was another book I still need to order my SCAG. And now VOLO too. Sigh you should have seen the stack during the brown complete books back during 2e, I needed a duffel bag to go to games.
Lol Be glad they're going easy this edition! Yes, there are 3 "crunch" books: SCAG. Volo's, and Xanathar's, which comes out in November. No one knows for sure what is in it other than some new subclasses for everthing except wizards.

Mystic and Artificer are close to ready, but won't be in Xanathar's. They will be released on DMs Guild prior to being placed in a book.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Cool I should be able to catch up and if not there is always X-mas. My gets me a gift card to Books-a-Million and I act like I'm 9 again.

The Tabaxi I saw that had me frowning said it had advantage on DEX ability checks, and could use DEX(acrobatics) in place of Atheltics for most checks, which then would be with advantage. sheesh!

But I saw the one in the RG and I am a bit more relaxed.

Also I found THIS during my search, I like what little I saw of it.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Cool I should be able to catch up and if not there is always X-mas. My gets me a gift card to Books-a-Million and I act like I'm 9 again.

The Tabaxi I saw that had me frowning said it had advantage on DEX ability checks, and could use DEX(acrobatics) in place of Atheltics for most checks, which then would be with advantage. sheesh!

But I saw the one in the RG and I am a bit more relaxed.

Also I found THIS during my search, I like what little I saw of it.
Yeah, that's definitely not the right tabaxi! Lol

tglassy

Adventurer
Tabaxi get the following:

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score in-
creases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.

Darkvision. You have a cat's keen senses, especially in the dark. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Feline Asility. Your reflexes and agility allow you to move with a burst of speed. When you move on your tum in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the tum. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you move Ofeet on one of your turns.

Cat's Claws. Because of your claws, you have a climb- ing speed of 20 feet. In addition, your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to ld4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Cat's Talent. You have proficiency in the Perception and Stealth skills.

So, Darkvision, two skills, a climbing speed, a d4 slashing unarmed strike, and double movement on one turn which can't be used until you spend a turn doing nothing. The d4 won't be used, the climbing speed is situational. The extra movement is cool, and auto prof in stealth and perception is good, but not game breaking. Rogues can already Dash as a bonus Action, as can Monks, though it takes a resource for them. Half elves get two skills and can choose whatever two they want, so there's precedent for that.

All in all, a unique race with some interesting utility, but not game breaking.

The revised Ranger gives it much more utility. No more favored terrain, better bonuses to favored enemies, and favored enemies are more vague. They made Extra Attack an Archetype feature instead of a class feature, and mostly changed the Beastmaster Archetype, making it much more viable than before. I never wanted to play the old Ranger, but the new one is actually attractive.

I chose Ranger over rogue because I like that feel of him being a jungle cat, knowing how to track and hunt his prey. The deep stalker Archetype seems perfect for a stealthy Ranger build, fighting with a scimitar and eventually dual wielding with a whip.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Remove ads