D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Yardiff

Adventurer
'Even aside from trying to call a fantasy world with spells, magical creatures, non-human races, and an overabundance of gold and dungeons "realistic" - an RPG is a game.'

So because of all this ^ the world cant seems realistic?

And a 'Fantastic' world can't seem 'Realistic'?

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
'Even aside from trying to call a fantasy world with spells, magical creatures, non-human races, and an overabundance of gold and dungeons "realistic" - an RPG is a game.'

There's a difference between must be realistic and do what makes sense for you and your group.

Personally I'm not too concerned about it in a world where you're 100% OK until that one blow knocks you unconscious, people run around in plate armor all day, where arrows bounce off the pecs of the barbarian because they're "tough". A world where every ogre has a 19 strength, every gnoll carries a spear and a longbow.

I also think it's unrealistic that people that are professional adventurers would not all be reasonably capable, and have capabilities representative of people at the top of their profession.

But that's just me. Want to roll? Fine. I just disagree with "realism" being achieved by rolling dice or it being a worthwhile goal.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

I said aside from that. As in, I wasn't going to use those as criteria to determine "realistic".

Sorry you found it confusing.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Your really stuck on that 19 str ogre aren't you.

What part of the 19 for ogres being 'average' don't you get? Average for human is 10, average for ogre is 19.

Oofta

Legend
Your really stuck on that 19 str ogre aren't you.

What part of the 19 for ogres being 'average' don't you get? Average for human is 10, average for ogre is 19.

Just like you're really stuck on the idea that rolling a handful of dice is more "realistic", and that it matters.

In other words ...

1) You're wrong!
2) No, you are!
3) go to step 1.

:hmm:

Yardiff

Adventurer
Just like you're really stuck on the idea that rolling a handful of dice is more "realistic", and that it matters.

In other words ...

1) You're wrong!
2) No, you are!
3) go to step 1.

You haven't been paying attention to who is who. I've never said rolling was realistic, I've said I like rolling because I find it fun and like the chance for higher stats.

Oofta

Legend
You haven't been paying attention to who is who. I've never said rolling was realistic, I've said I like rolling because I find it fun and like the chance for higher stats.

So I should correct my response?

1) Rolling is fun!
2) No it's not!
3) Go to step 1

Remove ads