D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Onslaught

Explorer
Standard Array is OK, but I still prefer Point Buy overall. The power gamer in me likes having the ability to fine tune things to my satisfaction.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear...

As a player, I'd prefer Point Buy.

As a DM, I'd prefer Standard Array... just to hinder the Min/Maxers that go with as many 8's as they can...

That makes me a bad person? A bad DM?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That's exactly what I wanted to hear...

As a player, I'd prefer Point Buy.

As a DM, I'd prefer Standard Array... just to hinder the Min/Maxers that go with as many 8's as they can...

That makes me a bad person? A bad DM?

Normal?

For me, it really depends on my goals for the character. If I want a combat monster or pure caster, I'll be going for 15,14,14,12,8,8. 15 in the primary, 14 in Con, 14 in the tertiary stat , and 12 in Wis unless Wis is a primary stat.

If it's a MAD character class (Monk, non-heavy armor Paladin, Fighter/Warlock, etc.) then it's probably going to be 15,15,15,8,8,8.

If I'm going for a character who is going to fill multiple roles or a skill master-type, I'll have a lot more 13's and 14's, intending them to be upped via feats or ASI's at higher levels so as to be mediocre several things instead of being specialized in one or two things.

And sometimes I'm going for an oddball concept and trying to optimize it - I frequently end up with the standard array without intending too.

Last edited:

Remove ads