D&D 5E Casting multiple spells with bonus spells and the order they are cast.

dpkress2

First Post
My understanding is that if you cast a spell as a bonus action you cannot cast another spell unless it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
This limitation ONLY applies when you cast a spell as a bonus action. So for example, if you are a caster with fighter levels you CAN cast two spells of any level with a casting time of 1 action IF you are using your action surge.

Please correct me if I am wrong with the above statements.

So here is my question....

If it's true that if you cast a spell as a bonus action you cannot cast another spell unless it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action, does it follow that if you cast a 1st level or higher spell with a casting time of 1 action BEFORE you use your bonus action, that you cannot use your bonus action to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 bonus action?

...and what if it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 bonus action?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
My understanding is that if you cast a spell as a bonus action you cannot cast another spell unless it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
This limitation ONLY applies when you cast a spell as a bonus action. So for example, if you are a caster with fighter levels you CAN cast two spells of any level with a casting time of 1 action IF you are using your action surge.
Yep, but note that even with action surge, if you cast a bonus action spell, you're limited to cantrips, though you could cast two cantrips. It also keeps you from casting a reaction spell.

If it's true that if you cast a spell as a bonus action you cannot cast another spell unless it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action, does it follow that if you cast a 1st level or higher spell with a casting time of 1 action BEFORE you use your bonus action, that you cannot use your bonus action to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 bonus action?
Yes, that is correct.

...and what if it is a cantrip with a casting time of 1 bonus action?
Are there any? If so, it is still a bonus action spell. If you cast that cantrip, then the only other spell(s) you can cast in that turn are regular action cantrips.

It is kind of a clunky rule. If the weird cases came up often enough to worry about, I would houserule it.

dpkress2

First Post
It also keeps you from casting a reaction spell.

From what I read this isn't true. Most reaction spells don't occur on your turn and ones that do, counterspelling counterspell, for example, are not effected by that limitation. At least that's what I read in this errata....

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.0.pdf

Are there any?

Yes: Magic Stone & shillelagh

To rephrase my question because I am a little confused about that last part of your comment...

If you cast a spell of first level or higher that has a casting time of 1 action BEFORE you take your bonus action, can you or can you not cast a cantrip that has a casting time of 1 bonus action (such as Magic stone or Shillelagh) as a bonus action?

jaelis

From what I read this isn't true. Most reaction spells don't occur on your turn and ones that do, counterspelling counterspell, for example, are not effected by that limitation. At least that's what I read in this errata....

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.0.pdf
What the Sage Advice says is that, if you cast a reaction spell on your turn, then that doesn't restrict any other spell casting you might do. But that doesn't change the restriction that if you cast a bonus action spell, the only other spells you can cast are regular action cantrips. So you can cast fireball + counterspell, but not healing word + counterspell. Not because of counterspell, but because of healing word.

If that doesn't make sense, which part of the Sage Advice document were you looking at?

Yes: Magic Stone & shillelagh

To rephrase my question because I am a little confused about that last part of your comment...

If you cast a spell of first level or higher that has a casting time of 1 action BEFORE you take your bonus action, can you or can you not cast a cantrip that has a casting time of 1 bonus action (such as Magic stone or Shillelagh) as a bonus action?
You cannot. So if you cast magic missile, you cannot subsequently cast magic stone.

dpkress2

First Post
What the Sage Advice says is that, if you cast a reaction spell on your turn, then that doesn't restrict any other spell casting you might do. But that doesn't change the restriction that if you cast a bonus action spell, the only other spells you can cast are regular action cantrips. So you can cast fireball + counterspell, but not healing word + counterspell. Not because of counterspell, but because of healing word.

If that doesn't make sense, which part of the Sage Advice document were you looking at?

That's what I was looking at. I think it's all cleared up now.

You can counterspell the counterspell as a reaction, even if you have cast a spell as an action, or even two with Action surge.

But you cannot cast a reaction spell on your turn if you have already cast a bonus action spell.

And I apologize but this brings me to hopefully my last question.

If you cast a bonus spell action on your turn does this restriction apply until your next turn? Meaning you cannot cast a reaction spell on someone else's turn, such as Shield?

What about a monster with legendary actions? If a monster casts a bonus spell on their turn, can they not cast 1st level spells for their legendary actions?

jaelis

If you cast a bonus spell action on your turn does this restriction apply until your next turn? Meaning you cannot cast a reaction spell on someone else's turn, such as Shield?
Nope, the restriction only applies to your actual turn.
What about a monster with legendary actions? If a monster casts a bonus spell on their turn, can they not cast 1st level spells for their legendary actions?
Same, the restriction only applies to that turn.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
That's what I was looking at. I think it's all cleared up now.

You can counterspell the counterspell as a reaction, even if you have cast a spell as an action, or even two with Action surge.

But you cannot cast a reaction spell on your turn if you have already cast a bonus action spell.

And I apologize but this brings me to hopefully my last question.

I don't think that's correct. The intent seems to be that casting a reaction spell is completely separate to other events during your turn. I would think that not being able to use your reaction on your turn to cast a spell if you had cast a bonus action spell would have been a big enough caveat to have been called out.

Illithidbix

Explorer
It is a strong contested for "rule most likely to be forgotten".

I think the thing here is to look at your turn as a whole.
If you have done a thing that restricts which actions you can take on your turn (by saying you can't or by saying it requires a certain type of action), then it doesn't matter what order it happens in.

I recall a similar debate about whether using the Shield Master bonus action shove.

jaelis

I don't think that's correct. The intent seems to be that casting a reaction spell is completely separate to other events during your turn. I would think that not being able to use your reaction on your turn to cast a spell if you had cast a bonus action spell would have been a big enough caveat to have been called out.

It says you can't cast any spells besides std-action cantrips, that seems pretty comprehensive.

Remove ads