D&D 5E Is infinite diversity in infinite combinations .... a terrible thing in D&D?

Should all classes be open to all races in all things always?

• Yes! Infinite diversity in infinite combinations is a good thing!

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • No! I play my tennis with a net.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Neither yes nor no; I will explain below why your poll options cannot constrain me.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Get off my lawn.

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • I'm not sure, but Paladins are terrible.

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Poll closed .

Alexemplar

First Post
The point I am trying to get across is that all games have restrictions. ALL of them. Let's give a concrete example.

I am running a warhammer frpg 2nd ed game. You want to play a gnome paladin. Well ... you can't. There are no gnomes in warhammer, and there isn't any paladin class either (... the system doesn't even use classes) These restrictions are part of how the game is built. They were put in place by the game designers.

But if as a gm, I want to run a 5e system warhammer game, I'm a bad person for not allowing gnomes?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Since nobody really cried foul when Dark Sun killed off all the Gnomes and did away with Paladins, I would say no.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't think that for a specific published setting that it's as big a deal. Most of the time, I'd expect someone to know what game and setting they're going to play, so their expectations should be set. I don't always agree with all such restrictions....for instance, I don't think that Dark Sun having gnomes or not makes any significant difference to the setting. And I say that as somone who has little to no love for gnomes. But players for such a game will approach it with the expectation "we're gonna play some Dark Sun", and so they'll know that some options will be off the table, and others will be altered.

But if it's a homebrew game, and the DM has decided that there are no tieflings, no drow, no dragonborn, and that there are level limits to how far elves can progress in any class but wizard, and dwarves are limited to fighter and cleric, and so on....that seems a bit more arbitrary. Because most folks would approach a homebrew game as "we're gonna play D&D" so they would assume that the options presented in the PHB would be open to them. Taking that away is a pretty extreme alteration from what's expected.

And in cases like that, the DM may have told the players what to expect, or may have even created a home brew document to serve as a campaign guide or primer. And that's great....it helps align expectations. But even in cases like that, I think that most such restrictions still seem arbitrary. No gnomes isn't really much of a defining characteristic for a setting. No elves or no humans would be more significant, and probably more thematic.

I think it boils down to not being self-centered. Players should realize when their idea for a PC doesn't fit the game world that the DM is presenting. On the other hand, the DM needs to own up to the fact that his restriction of "no drow" isn't about anything other than his personal taste. Both sides need to be willing to compromise a bit. There's not just one person at the table.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Eventually, some things improved. No longer a fighting man, but a fighter. And elves could be classes. Fighters. Magic Users. Fighter/Magic Users. But they couldn't be everything.

Now this is a relic of the past. Tiefling druid? Sure. Triton monk? Why not. Halfling wizard? Let's get it on. Gnome paladin. NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Ahem.

But, some of these things just don't feel right. As pointed out in another thread- why do we have to see all of these 3' halflings with 3' rapiers? I have three possible theories for this-

1. It's like poetry. Sure, free verse is great, but it's like playing poetry without a net. Playing with restrictions can be fun; to a certain extent, it's no fun breaking rules if there are no rules to break.

I feel the restrictions informed the canon of the published worlds. What made the worlds like Athas special wan't just the setting but a reordering of restrictions.

In a 2e game I ran my friend was a halfling multiclass Wizard/Assassin. Restrictions were lifted by the DM. Just as DM's can impose them.

Alexemplar

First Post
I don't think that for a specific published setting that it's as big a deal. Most of the time, I'd expect someone to know what game and setting they're going to play, so their expectations should be set. I don't always agree with all such restrictions....for instance, I don't think that Dark Sun having gnomes or not makes any significant difference to the setting. And I say that as somone who has little to no love for gnomes. But players for such a game will approach it with the expectation "we're gonna play some Dark Sun", and so they'll know that some options will be off the table, and others will be altered.

But if it's a homebrew game, and the DM has decided that there are no tieflings, no drow, no dragonborn, and that there are level limits to how far elves can progress in any class but wizard, and dwarves are limited to fighter and cleric, and so on....that seems a bit more arbitrary. Because most folks would approach a homebrew game as "we're gonna play D&D" so they would assume that the options presented in the PHB would be open to them. Taking that away is a pretty extreme alteration from what's expected.

And in cases like that, the DM may have told the players what to expect, or may have even created a home brew document to serve as a campaign guide or primer. And that's great....it helps align expectations. But even in cases like that, I think that most such restrictions still seem arbitrary. No gnomes isn't really much of a defining characteristic for a setting. No elves or no humans would be more significant, and probably more thematic.

I think it boils down to not being self-centered. Players should realize when their idea for a PC doesn't fit the game world that the DM is presenting. On the other hand, the DM needs to own up to the fact that his restriction of "no drow" isn't about anything other than his personal taste. Both sides need to be willing to compromise a bit. There's not just one person at the table.

This sounds about right.

What classes/races/options are and aren't available needs to feel like it serves some higher theme/goal that players can buy into than "I have a mostly personal issue with X/Y/Z."

I have a homebrew in which Elves/Dwarves/Gnomes/Halflings/Orcs/Goblinoids are notably absent, but that's also because it's very much styled after antediluvian Atlantis-style fantasy as opposed to any disdain. In their place, I have Yuan-Ti, Genasi, Tieflings/Aasimar, Goliaths, and other such races playing a much larger role than is common in D&D, but not because those are my favorite races.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
* Individual campaigns can have whatever limits they like; IDIC should be available in the base game, because playing against expectations or type can be fun for some.

* Where there are conceptual hurdles (halflings with 3' rapiers, etc.) it's not because diversity exists, but because rules for size or weapon damage have been kept vague or inadequately formed. That's a problem with those rules (if it's seen to be a problem at all), not a problem of the availability of diverse combinations.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Also, sure, if you have a bunch of wild and crazy stuff in AL games, so what? It's a game of imagination. Remember, AD&D had modules with robots, original AD&D players brought in Boot Hill gunfighters, and the OD&D world was an absolutely bizarre kitchen sink of weirdness. This drive to make D&D 'Serious' and 'Minimal' is a later development, and I think the game is worse off for it.
While I disagree with just about everything else you've said in this thread I just have to give you props for this.

That said, AD&D only had 7 races (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Half-Elf, Half-Orc) and that's always been enough - and some would argue it's one more than enough as they send the Gnomes packing... :)

BoldItalic said:
A troop (or possibly a trope) of gnome paladins batter down your DM screen and smite you with their Holy Avengers, crying "Woe unto the infidel who believeth not that we exist!".
Made my save...disbelieved. Whew!

I really have to ease off on those mushrooms... :)

Lanefan

Tony Vargas

Legend
I happen to play a lot of Adventurer's League, and anything that is valid in AL is valid at any AL table. DM's do not have the option of saying, "Sorry, no Drow at my table."
Thing is, no one table is going to use all those rules. So, if you have a severe nut allergy to another player's nutty character, and you just cannot manage the symptoms in any way other than being a jerk to him, worst case (and we're already talking kinda a worst case, as most people aren't that mutually intolerant and disrespectful), you or he finds another table that's more amenable - or, if all else fails, you two may actually have to talk it out. Find some common ground and understanding.

I know it's easier if the other guy just isn't there because his favorite character type has been permanently excluded from the official game with extreme prejudice and he's been forced out of the community to the PF compound or a 13A commune or whatever. By the same token, if whatever you were so uncompromisingly intolerant of were forced to be played at every D&D table in the world, it'd be a lot easier on that hypothetical other guy, too.

But, choosing one of you isn't supposed to be what 5e was about. It /is/, de-facto, at the moment, but it wasn't supposed to be.

Ah, NOW I see where you are trying to paint this. And you are missing the point entirely.

The new players want to say 'at my game I want a Female Halfling Fighter to be as viable as any other gender/race/class.' The new players appreciate rules that are flexible enough to allow those kinds of character choices.

The old players are freaking out and morally judging.
The old players want to roll back the rules to bias against that kind of play to make certain types mechanically deficient.
To be fair, it's not just female and/or halfling fighters that are deficient.

That said, AD&D only had 7 races (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Halfling, Half-Elf, Half-Orc) and that's always been enough - and some would argue it's one more than enough as they send the Gnomes packing... :)
And it famously didn't go so well when the then-newly-released edition left said Gnomes out of the PH.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
"When consistency gets in the way of samurai gunslingers riding on dinosaurs, it's time for consistency to take a day off."

- [MENTION=812]barsoomcore[/MENTION]

JonnyP71

Explorer
Currently running a 1E game with restrictions (as per UA) in place, my players cut their teeth playing the newer, more open versions of the game.

No complaints.

No Paladins in the party either.

Happy days.

schnee

First Post
Er ... not all of us. I'm an 'old player' in both senses and I'm in the 'no restrictions' camp.

I'm old enough to remember when only Elves could take the 'Elf' class, but I don't especially want to go back there. I prefer the richness of 5e.

High five, dude.

I started with 'Blue box' Basic.

Remove ads