D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

gyor

Legend
My favourite in Subclasses in XGTE are Shadow Magic Sorceror, Divine Soul Sorceror, Horizon Walker Ranger, Ancestoral Guardian Barbarian, Arcane Archer Fighter, War Mage Wizard, College of Whispers, and Circle of the Sheppard.

gyor

Legend
You know the perfect Shadow Magic Sorceror race is Elf (Drow).

Bonus to Dex and Charisma, the ability to see through your own darkness means your sunlight sensitivity won't be an issue, because you just summon darkness, it's thematic as hell, plus all the advantanges of being an Drow Elf, and the Drow High Magic feat. Tell me that doesn't sound awesome.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm surprised Sorceror only got two new archetypes, Sea, Phoenix, and Stone didn't make it, which was very surprising to me.

I want to believe that WotC team is clever, but one thing that bothers me is the knowledge that when you have something (fairly) new and present it as a series of episodes for feedback, then the respondent tend to overreact positively to the first and become bored along the way.

So it's very possible that the feedback results were biased in favor of the Barbarian (which in fact got all 3 subclasses approved) just because everybody was excited by the idea of getting lots of new UA archetypes in weekly articles! By the time we got to the Sorcerer (only 1 of 4 approved, and that 1 was already seen and proved popular before) and Warlock+Wizard (1 of 3 approved), a lot of people were already bored and the average feedback might have been negatively biased. That was the 'streak' of UA articles on subclasses. Later we got an extra UA article with 2 new + 1 revised, and they all made it to XGE, but perhaps the 'gap' between the previous was enough to re-spark some interest.

gyor

Legend
I want to believe that WotC team is clever, but one thing that bothers me is the knowledge that when you have something (fairly) new and present it as a series of episodes for feedback, then the respondent tend to overreact positively to the first and become bored along the way.

So it's very possible that the feedback results were biased in favor of the Barbarian (which in fact got all 3 subclasses approved) just because everybody was excited by the idea of getting lots of new UA archetypes in weekly articles! By the time we got to the Sorcerer (only 1 of 4 approved, and that 1 was already seen and proved popular before) and Warlock+Wizard (1 of 3 approved), a lot of people were already bored and the average feedback might have been negatively biased. That was the 'streak' of UA articles on subclasses. Later we got an extra UA article with 2 new + 1 revised, and they all made it to XGE, but perhaps the 'gap' between the previous was enough to re-spark some interest.

Honestly part of it could simply be spill over from the Sorcerors relative lack of popularity.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My main disappointment on the SCAG reprints is that they didn't include the Undying Warlock. I don't know the details of it, but it sounded like a very interesting archetype and generic enough, but maybe I was wrong and it was FR-specific?
The only reason to reprint is for AL, since we can still use SCAG in home games. Probably wasn't very popular in organized play.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
No they're not treating the AL as nearly that important.

A much more plausible reason is that reprints doesn't cost development resources

There are many options available to them that do not cost development dollars or people-hours. Extra art could be a baseline: minimal investment for full-page colour spreads is a default against which other choices can be assessed.

Why is reprinting stuff from another book better than giving us new art? AL is a plausible explanation -- not one I am interested in, and so not one that motivates me, but I can see it motivating others.

I can think of other motivations, but they are too cynical to bother with. The truth is, we don't know.

Remove ads