• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boots of Striding and Springing got nerfed bad

randcortin

First Post
Over double the cost of 3.0 BoSS, and we get a lousy 10 feet? 10 feet?!? What kind of crap is this? And it takes up a magic item slot that can be better used with Winged Boots, or Boots of Haste, or something better than something that gives you 10 bloody feet!

What does anyone else think about this?

Eternalknight

First Post
I thought they were overpowered. Whenever my group would make higher level characters, the majority of them would have these items. Change was welcome, at least for me.

Taloras

First Post
Another reason for me NOT to convert to 3.5 I now have the PHB for 3.5 and i -dont- like the changes. At all. Any of them.

randcortin

First Post
Yeah, that's possible, but they didn't have to increase the price, and then go and knock the speed down. 2500 gp would be a more reasonable price for an additional 10 feet. 5500 is just ludicrous.

Neowolf

First Post
Actually, according to the 3.0 errata, Boots of Striding and Springing were 6000 gp. I checked that out recently when I went to buy a pair, and found that PCGen contradicted my DMG.

sithramir

First Post
Get over yourself. Whine whine I WANT MY SUPER POWERFUL ITEM FOR SUPER CHEAP! Doubling your movement for so cheap. Have you ever seen a monk with these and the dash feat and the run feat being able to do 110 feet NORMAL movement and being able to outpace a dragon in flight. Lol it was ludicrous. 10 feet is a HUGE bonus. If you don't realize it then be happy you are not in my game.

Agamon

Adventurer
I don't think he's complaining that you can't get the 3.0 version of the boots for 2500. That is crazy, IMO.

However, if they raised the cost and kept the effect, or changed the effect and kept the cost, it'd be fine. But the 3.5 boots are too far the other way. I recently playtested an LG game that offered the boots. Almost bought them, too, until I found out what 3.5 did to them. Booo! :mad:

Edit: What they should have done is had it add a bonus equal to your race's base move (20 for the short guys, 30 for medium), and kept the jump +10, and then made it 5500 gp. That, in my mind, would have made perfect sense.

This is actually one of the few problems I personally have with 3.5, though.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Agamon said:

Edit: What they should have done is had it add a bonus equal to your race's base move (20 for the short guys, 30 for medium), and kept the jump +10, and then made it 5500 gp. That, in my mind, would have made perfect sense.

This is actually one of the few problems I personally have with 3.5, though.

One of the things with the old boots is that, eventually, they made the monk's schtick (super-mobility) almost completely redundant. There's not much point in having 60' speed as a class ability if everyone else is eventually going to get it anyway. Sure, eventually you go at 90', but past a certain point it's just gravy.

Belphanior

First Post
The boots got both cheaper and less effective. Which makes sense.

Unless your combats have no kind of tactics at all, a 10' increase in speed is a considerable edge. But if your combats do have tactics, an increase of double normal is way too much. I've been there and used them to ridiculous effect, outrunning anything the MM could throw at me. That is not normal folks.

Remove ads