• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Boots of Striding and Springing got nerfed bad

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
+10 speed is a huge bonus. The (reverse) 10 worse speed for medium/heavy armours is probably the biggest complaint about them, even more than not being able to be slept in comfortably.

There are many combat statistics, speed is one of them. Any item that dramatically alters your combat stats should be $$, or be not so dramatic.

I for one still intend to trade my characters loot for these boots asap.

Enceladus

First Post
Great changes all around for jumping

I think changes to both boots was needed badly. The jump skill is redone to match.

I like the changes. Players hate the changes. :D

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

The Boots were too powerful before, now they are reasonable. They were so good before that everyone eventually wanted to have a pair or add the ability to their boots. Now they add a nice bonus to Jump and a small bonus to movement that helps for long-term travel.

I love most of the changes to 3.5. The PHB is very well done and has alot of little clarifications and changes that will greatly improve my games.

My House Rules blended in just fine with the changes. I have even decided to accept the changes to the Hold spells due to the addition of higher level Mass Hold spells. I can see how a single save would be outlandishly powerful for Mass Hold spells.

The only change I truly dislike from both a flavor and rules standpoint is the change to Adamantine. I don't like the "ignore's less than 20 hardness". That was a bad idea IMO.

Love the new edition, especially the Monster Manual. Just awsome.

Skaros

First Post
I'm very happy with the new boots. An extra 10' movement is more meaningful now that spells and items don't increase movement as high as before, and it makes the monk and barbarian increases more meaningful.

Skaros

Someone

Adventurer
Re: re

Celtavian said:

The only change I truly dislike from both a flavor and rules standpoint is the change to Adamantine. I don't like the "ignore's less than 20 hardness". That was a bad idea IMO.

Since you can now chop through an iron golem and an iron statue with the same weapon, I think it, at least, helps consistency.

ForceUser

Explorer
Also, remember, if you want more movement you could just cast expeditious retreat, which is +30 move in 3.5. This actually increases the movement of small characters and dwarves from what it was in 3.0 with expeditious retreat. Other options are to craft a use-activated item of expeditious retreat, or save your money and pay through the nose for a perma-expeditious retreat set of boots, say "Greater Boots of Striding and Springing?"

[edit: clarity]

Last edited:

ForceUser said:
Also, remember, if you want more movement you could just cast expeditious retreat, which is +30 move in 3.5. This actually increases the movement of small characters and dwarves from what it was in 3.0 with expeditious retreat. Other options are to craft a use-activated item of expeditious retreat, or save your money and pay through the nose for a perma-expeditious retreat set of boots, say "Greater Boots of Striding and Springing?"

[edit: clarity]

I disagree ... the pricing guidelines in the back of the DMG are just that ... guidelines. That would be a very expensive item if a player wanted it, assuming I said "yes" to them in the first place.

I think the new BoSS are reasonably priced. If we never saw the old BoSS, I think people wouldn't be complaining about them being weak at all.

PS the price was worked out earlier, and it came out to be reasonable. Don't forget that skill-boosting items are now more expensive.

ForceUser

Explorer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:

I disagree ... the pricing guidelines in the back of the DMG are just that ... guidelines. That would be a very expensive item if a player wanted it, assuming I said "yes" to them in the first place.

I think the new BoSS are reasonably priced. If we never saw the old BoSS, I think people wouldn't be complaining about them being weak at all.

PS the price was worked out earlier, and it came out to be reasonable. Don't forget that skill-boosting items are now more expensive.
I don't understand why you are disagreeing with me when the text of your comment seems to, in fact, agree with what I said. What part of "pay through the nose for Greater Boots of Striding and Springing" was unclear? :p

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
sithramir said:
Get over yourself. Whine whine I WANT MY SUPER POWERFUL ITEM FOR SUPER CHEAP!

Is this really necessary? do you really have such a problem that you need to spew this at people and you can't disagree peacefully?
It's statements like this that make me glad you're not in my game.

peace out

Paragon

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads