[FFD20] Let's Mass our Forces, and Rebuild our Power

Pengin

First Post
Heres something to consider; what races will there be for a playable FFD20? Would the standard PHB races be allowed? What about the Fae'run races. And is the Moogle a playable race? Second, would we imply a favored class for the races?

Moogles should definately be a playable race.

-Karl

Drake Masters

First Post
Class Possability

Earlier someone had mentioned that the Red Mage should be a core class. While this is a good idea, perhaps the Red Mage should be a Prestige class that adds to both White mage and Black mage spell levels, similar to a new Prestige class in the new DnD dungeons masters guide. (I can't quite remember the name currently.) This is just a suggestion, and my opinion.

Pengin

First Post
Earlier someone had mentioned that the Red Mage should be a core class. While this is a good idea, perhaps the Red Mage should be a Prestige class that adds to both White mage and Black mage spell levels, similar to a new Prestige class in the new DnD dungeons masters guide. (I can't quite remember the name currently.) This is just a suggestion, and my opinion.

A good idea, but I think the PrC from the new DMG (Mystic Theurge, btw) isn't exactly what we're looking for. Red Mages get weapons and some armor, so their casting would be limited more in the way of a D&D bard. Or that was how I've understood it, at least. So the Mystic Theurge might be a good starting point but the finished product of Red Mage will probably be radically different.

Of course, I also think the Mystic Theurge is a terrible PrC idea and personally will not allow it in my campaigns, so my comments on the matter are probably biased.

FF9 races sound like a good idea, though.

-Karl

Creamsteak

Explorer
Heres something to consider; what races will there be for a playable FFD20? Would the standard PHB races be allowed? What about the Fae'run races. And is the Moogle a playable race? Second, would we imply a favored class for the races?[/qoute]

Elves and Dwarves are fine, Goblins perhaps (they were called imps for so long though... it seems odd... maybe imp as a nickname for goblins?)... Gnomes, orcs, halflings seem out of place... though there were mini-people in FF4...

Moogles are a must have, and I feel compelled to see a sasquatch statted out... if even as a higher ECL race...

The FF11 races could help us out with guidelines, or FF9... it's all possible...

I'd really like to see Chemists as a useful class.
Well, if you've seen my old chemist it had some potential... problem is that I think it needs to be as tough if not tougher than a DnD cleric in order to make it a long-term choice for a player if they want it that way. The way I worked it before was a "Chemists Only Items" system... but that's just not what I want to see... it'll be one of the more complex classes...

The most complicated are probably trying to figure out what the hell a Calculator and Mime are suppossed to do... They seem skippable though...

Also, I think Chemists should have item creation feats even without the spell pre-requisites for making items. Perhaps require more expensive materials or higher levels than a normal spell caster would have.
Or you could always provide a very extensive and thorough list of items for chemists to craft. A potion that just heals 3d8 might not be as good as the expensive magical potion that cures 3d8+15, but it's still got potential and if it's significantly cheaper it would be a common 'need' for a party. Also... magic guns... chemists should always get magic guns...

I think Knight should be the "core" warrior class, if only in name.
That's how I feel...

Of course then we have the question of where does a core class end and prestige class begin? We have to say something like "Knight Core, Paladin Prestige." Or "Paladin is just a high-leveled Knight." Again, this is where branches become important.
Yep... thats the point I'm at in my re-work... How do you get to every single point, and how do you adjudicate the beginning and ends of different powers...

Red Mages will not be some kinda Mystic Theurge. That's more of a Sage or something...

Creamsteak

Explorer
The Draft
Chapter 1: Basics (Creamsteak)
Chapter 2: Races (Slot 1) (Slot 2)
Chapter 3: Core Classes (Creamsteak) (Slot 2)
(Slot 3)
Chapter 4: Prestige Classes (Creamsteak) (Slot 2)
(Slot 3)
Chapter 5: Skills (Creamsteak)
Chapter 6: Feats (Creamsteak) (Slot 2) (Slot 3)
(Slot 4)

How the Draft will work: Well, basically I just want to know where people think they can be most helpful. The number of slots I listed is not an arbitrary maximum, but rather, how many people I thought would be needed for each area. The SRD (System Reference Document) for the D20 system will handle most of our needs with skills, basic rules, ability scores, and other mechanics. The D20 Modern SRD is also open gaming content, so we can borrow bits and pieces from that.

Basically, just tell me what you think you want to do, and how much effort your willing to put into the project. I'm already listing myself for all the parts of the work that I expect to be involved in. I'm not too interested in races for instance, but I'm still going to review whatever is happening in that area.

I'm going to submit some charts for classes here in a minute, you can all review those then... that will give us a starting point.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Ok, heres the first problems... I'm trying to figure out base attack bonus and saves. I'm not confident in my own ability to decide who should have what save... but here's my first shot. Copy any entry that you don't agree with and tell me what you would do to change it, and possibly why...

Bard (Edgar, FF4)
Base Attack Bonus: Bad
Fortitude Save: Bad
Reflex Save: Good
Will Save: Bad

Berserker (FF5)
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Fortitude Save: Good
Reflex Save: Bad

Black Mage (Black Mage, FF1)
Will Save: Good

Chemist (FF5)
Base Attack Bonus: Average

Dark Knight (Cecil, FF4)

Dragoon (Kain, FF4)

Geomancer (FF5)

Hunter (FF5)

Knight (Fighter, FF1)

Monk (Yang, FF4)

Paladin (Cecil, FF4)

Red Mage (Red Mage, FF1)

Thief (Thief, FF1)

White Mage (White Mage, FF1)

Ako Mainyu

First Post
Well, I have a question to raise (since I'm here, and yet so late...)

Are you attempting to emulate Final Fantasy with a d20 enviroment, or using the FF-concept with the d20 game system to generate your own worlds? There's already so much information that's available, in just the FF's (especially concerning races, let's not get started on races).

I see that the classes are already posted, so let me ask a few questions about those: how many of those classes are just extensions of other classes, or purely culturally or socially identified? That is, the Dragoon's in FFIV were an order of soldiers above the rest, obviously a prestige class based on the games. However, no game ever made note of a Cavalry character, one who fights Chocobo-back (Chocovier!). Which raises my next question: ought we limit ourselves to what the games offer? Sure, if we're emulating a FF game with a d20 enviroment, it makes sense. However, if, from the cloth, we're making our own FF-universe, then why not go hog-wild?

I'll have more later as I feast my eyes (with hotsauce) on the previous posts...

XERO HOUR

First Post
I think you need too fold the classes into 5 base classes and then make a sieres of templates for example
warrior (base class)
dragoon(template)
dark knight(template)
berzeker (template)
monk (template)

mage/wizard(base class)
geomancer(template)
red mage (template)
blue mage (template)
white mage(template)

and so on and so forth. Using this system you can change a pc by adding a template (or lose one to strengthen another ) as you or the dm wishes. there is also the benifit of plot points (ex.a knights family is killed he becoms a dark knight )

Remove ads