Best "Buffing" Classes (Marshal-Style)!

Alistur

First Post
So I'm trying to come up with a team of characters that their main purpose is to buff each other's abilities. Example would be probably a Paladin with that nature oath so he can buff the team's saving throws and make them resistant to magic.

When I say best, ya that's used loosely, but here's another 2 examples of what I'm looking for: 1) not just a bard, but a hexblade for maybe 3 levels so he can get his pact weapon greatsword so he can basically do Paladin smiting (for those of you who have read the hexblade unearthed arcana of his Curse Bringer invocation) and the rest of the levels as a bard. That way I get the party buffing Bard abilities, but he's not just a bard, because the "smiting" gives some quick and easy power. 2) what I'm not looking for is something that's just not worth wasting a character on, like the purple dragon knight. Ya he can eventually get 2 other characters to get an extra attack after he uses an action surge, but I feel like I'd rather just make a better character, rather than force myself to use him just because he has party buffing abilities.

As you can tell from my examples, unearthed arcana is fine to use. I actually like the idea of multiclassing and I don't have a certain party size I'm looking for yet. I just want ideas that could synergize well together and to see if we can come up with a team that might be better than your standard, "okay, we need a tank, a striker, etc..."

If any if you remember the Marshal from DnD 3.5, that's the kind if stuff I'd like.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Don't bother berating what you feel I might have left out, didn't clarify enough, etc... Just send some cool ideas in and let's see what we can come up with.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
The closest thing to a "marshal" would be paladin's aura, along with crusader's mantle (paladin spell).
But also, sorcerer with twinning haste, polymorph, or greater invisibility.
And lore bard 5 for cutting words.

So maybe Sorcerer 7/paladin 6/lore bard 6 at higher levels. (Twin buff + aura+ cutting words). Take shillelagh as one of your bard lore spells to make attack with Cha, as well as booming blade/green flame blade from the sorcerer and you'll have good melee damage. Possibly a few levels of warlock 2 to pick up a good ranged attack.

If your concentration on spells, warcaster and resilient con are good feats. Your paladin's aura will help too.

Alistur

First Post
I haven't looked too much into paladin and ranger spells, so the crusader's mabtle could be good.

The psionic Avatar looks amazing. Definitely better than the pruple dragon knight! Any other unearthed arcana you all know about that could be good team buffers?

Remove ads