D&D 5E evil character idea for general creation

pharealprince

First Post
i thought of this character on the idea of just seeing a clip from CR season 1, where arkhan betrays vox machina and uses vecna's hand for himself. i actually haven't watched season 1 and it's just based off that scene and no other knowledge. I want the character to be evil but have the party be unaware. any and all of this can be changed.
character base points:

Female high elf- i wanted to play a female character for a change of pace and to challange my abilities of roleplay. also, i figured the female high elf could be unsuspecting as an evil person.

Vague backstory idea- i was thinking that the reason why she is low level is because the BBEG took her item that was the source of her high level power. the story she tells vengis that she wants to kill the BBEG in revenge for killing her parents but she really wants to get her item back and become all powerful. i thought that she was also injured in the battle against the BBEG and would have to steal body parts from the people the group killed in battle to stay in good enough health.

Class- I'm thinking of cleric or a necromancer wizard. i also thought an artificer to create the artificial body parts but, the artificer looked too difficult for me.

Any thoughts on this? is any of this too complicated? should she not hide that she is evil or have to deal with an injured body?

aco175

Legend
@pharealprince welcome to the site.

Playing an evil character is generally something to run by the DM and get them onboard first. Once the 'everyone should be able to have fun' part is out of the way you are set. I'm not quite getting your post though. You r character has an item that gave her power and it was taken so now she is somehow missing body parts. Was the item a body part that gave her power? I have not seen Critical Role, so I might be missing something.

I do not have a problem harvesting body parts from dead monsters/people to keep you alive. A bit like a vampire where most people find it evil and wrong to just kill someone because you need something from them. If the person is dead then you could get the other PCs onboard. The evil part might be pushing to kill people just to get at their body parts.

pharealprince

First Post
@pharealprince welcome to the site.

Playing an evil character is generally something to run by the DM and get them onboard first. Once the 'everyone should be able to have fun' part is out of the way you are set. I'm not quite getting your post though. You r character has an item that gave her power and it was taken so now she is somehow missing body parts. Was the item a body part that gave her power? I have not seen Critical Role, so I might be missing something.

I do not have a problem harvesting body parts from dead monsters/people to keep you alive. A bit like a vampire where most people find it evil and wrong to just kill someone because you need something from them. If the person is dead then you could get the other PCs onboard. The evil part might be pushing to kill people just to get at their body parts.
When I have a game to play this character in I’ll definitely run it past the DM. The characters power amulet, or whatever, was taken and she was injured in the battle, so she needs parts or blood to stay healthy. The Critical role part is a character cuts off his hand, puts vecna’s hand on himself, and teleports out, somewhat betraying them. I read the summary of the critical role character before posting this. I figured the evil part would be that she wants the power for herself and kills or mutilates opponent after the party let’s them go. I may get rid of the vampire like part because it would have to mess with my constitution and that would be hard to explain.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
If you're starting at low levels, consider the Inheritor background. Maybe your character was supposed to inherit Item X but didn't get it because it was stolen by a famous thief whom the guard didn't catch. Now you set out on adventure to recover it. Then when it's level appropriate, the DM could have you encounter the thief.

Remove ads