D&D 5E ASI's at Character Level instead of Class Level

Tony Vargas

Legend
There is no way to interpret the RAW as saying that D&D does not use any dice, and all attack rolls are actually resolved by a complex system of astrological signs.
There's no RAW, so that's all quite true. ;P

Just like the Paladin example. As much as I dislike it, the Paladin does exist as an official class in the RAW. There is no plausible interpretation (other than hunting down every PHB and ripping out those pages ... don't think I haven't thought of that) that would allow for it to not exist.
The point isn't that there's an infinite number of possible interpretations of every word or passage, just that there's plenty of places where there's more than one. So there's no set of 'RAW' from which to deviate, there's just the game as presented, as a starting place.

There are those that want to (poor, benighted, souls) play by the RAW, and those that have to (AL).
Everyone ultimately plays by some interpretation of the rules. AL has it's own set of which options to use, and at least some rulings, the devs have sounded off on their own rulings on Twitter. Individual DMs have their own rulings, there own decisions about options, and their own variants.

So there is some weight to RAW.
It's left over expectation of weight from the 3e era.
That and just wanting to appeal to something outside the individual merits of an interpretation for support of it being 'right.'

Not to mention it's pretty hard to discuss ... uh ... rules ... on websites such as this if every issue just becomes, "But that's your interpretation, man."
Once you accept that such isn't a dismissal, it's not an impediment to discussion.

..and yet, you seem to continue to take issue with my continued, extremely reasonable take that the original DM in the OP was using a houserule (which is fine). So .... yeah?
I suppose I'm really only trying to counter the implication that it would be in any least slightest way 'right' or 'better' for her not to have done so.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
...so, I think the issue, here, is that you might have some lingering scars or something from 3e .
I never fully bought into the 3e RAW uber-alles zietgiest (you can tell by the way I mock it, still), and was glad to see 5e go back to the more traditional attitude of embracing variants.

I'm not willing to quietly let 5e fall back into that pit.

Wesley Adams

First Post
This isn't that tricky of a House Rule:
- All Characters get Feats at Character Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, & 19
- Rogues get a Bonus Feat at Class Level 10
- Fighters get Bonus Feats at Class Levels 6 and 14

Bonus feats aren't exactly unheard of in the history of DnD.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Very little "breaks," in 5e but I don't think this DM has really thought this houserule through very well.

As a threshhold issue, this ruling greatly privileges multiclassing over singleclassing. Especially those who multiclass multiple times (more than dual-class; in other words, there is no real detriment to "dipping" in many classes).

I rogue with a 2d6 back stab at level 12 instead of 6d6 .... sure their is no loss there.

A fighter with 2 attacks instead of 3 attacks per action at level 12 .... sure their is no loss there.

A wizard that cast higher than 2nd level spells even thought they have 6 level spell slots .... sure their is no loss there.

Its almost if your bias against multi-classing an don't see how the lose of class abilities, known spells, and lack of the typically stronger higher level and capstone abilities as significate enough a trade to pay off the gains from low level dips... I wonder if you made a 4/4/4/4/4 character (get all 5 feats anyway, max 3rd level spells) and I hand an full caster with 20 levels a 9th level spells who would win in a battle royal? I like my odds.

If your a max/miner your never going to be a full caster and take more than 3 of a second class and lose any chance at the most powerful spells in the game. If your primarily a rogue every level is a lose to your main source of DPR, If your a tank Barbarian your taking smaller hit dies which is likely a huge lose to your HP, if your a monk your losing dice improvements for melee and monk weapon attacks as well as speed....

Really the only class that gets to multi-class with abandon and gain more than they lose for multi-classing every class... is Warlock. Your typical smite knight (warlock/paladin) will still be around but I would point out the any build really worth muli-classing to any extreme or more than once would be as common or uncommon as they are now as you can already get ASI and feats every 4 levels of each class and 4 one level buy is only a lose of 1 feat for multiple first level abilities.

I personally think if you want to delay all your good abilities and mix all the classes together … can actually get it to functionally work.. and manage not to step on anyones toes....then It doesn't matter if you get all the feats or not. More than likely it would be a build that looks great up front but you find when the other classes are getting late game abilities your going to be a "jack of all trades but master of none" and largely underpowered and underwhelming. Their maybe an exception or two but not many.

As far as Fighters feats, you just make them class specific for lvl 6 & 14. Done. Easy.

neogod22

Explorer
This isn't that tricky of a House Rule:
- All Characters get Feats at Character Levels 4, 8, 12, 16, & 19
- Rogues get a Bonus Feat at Class Level 10
- Fighters get Bonus Feats at Class Levels 6 and 14

Bonus feats aren't exactly unheard of in the history of DnD.
So a multiclassed fighter could possibly get 2 ASIs on the same level?

Dausuul

Legend
I'd be wary of this rule, just because of the potential for dipping to get the front-loaded features of several classes.

At the moment, the number of multiclass exploits in 5E is pretty limited. Most of them involve warlocks, due to the decision to make eldritch blast a spell instead of a class feature, and the creation of the Hexblade patron as a kludge to fix Pact of the Blade. This opens up significant new avenues. On the plus side, they probably don't start until around level 10; you still need to invest at least 5 levels in one class in order to get Extra Attack (for martials) or 3rd-level spells (for casters).

Last edited:

Remove ads