Healing elixir: potential for abuse?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

So in the starter spell unearthed arcana, wotc published a first level wizard spell that essentially creates a 24h lasting healing potion.

Now traditionally wizards have few options for healing; usually it's "fake healing" (temp hitpoints) or life draining. So if you are going to give wizards real healing, this is the way to go I think, thematically it fits.

But (and as far as I can tell, no one else has pointed this out here, which surprises me), the 24 hour duration has a potential for abuse.

Scenario 1. Party is heading into very dangerous area. Warlock says "let's get ready properly". Casts the spell twice, short rest, does it again...

Scenario 2: it's 8 pm, the party is in a safe place, but in the morning is heading in that dangerous area. Wizard "ok I have seven spell slots left, let me dump them all in healing elixirs before I take my short rest".

So the wizard or warlock can become a fairly beefy healer with this!

Essentially it allows the transfer/preservation of spell slots and could lead to a lot of stored healing elixirs. In other words it is a great way to use "wasted " slots.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Hmm. As the material components are, 'Alchemist Supplies', as the DM you could set a limit to how many potions could be made from said supplies.

Of course, it's not stated that the supplies are consumed.

Still, it is playtest material - some arbitration is to be expected, depending on the needs of the table.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think that is by design. If you restricted to say a 1 hour duration I think players would skip it and just leave the healing to the clerics.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
But (and as far as I can tell, no one else has pointed this out here, which surprises me), the 24 hour duration has a potential for abuse.

Ahem.
Healing Elixer.
Replaces goodberry as the way to burn through remaining spell slots at the end of the day.
:cool:

As for material components: because the spell specifies no gp cost, any focus or component pouch can replace the alchemical supplies.

Satyrn

First Post
You could restrict this like the Healer feat - add in a note that a character can only benefit from one elixer per rest (short or long as you prefer) .

pukunui

Legend
I briefly flirted with this spell when I was playing a wizard/arcana cleric. Scenario 2 in the OP was what occurred to me. It felt cheesy, and we really had no need of so many healing potions, so I ended up swapping the spell out for something else.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think that I would require alchemy supplies which, since the supplies themselves do have a gold cost to buy can't be replaced by an arcane focus. The idea where the supplies have limited charges would be a good one. It could open up a subset of alchemy spells which require alchemy supplies to use.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Scenario 1. Party is heading into very dangerous area. Warlock says "let's get ready properly". Casts the spell twice, short rest, does it again...

Honestly, the Warlock has so (relatively) few spells known, especially early on, that I would consider this more a feature than a bug. A warlock spending his slots on healing generally means the party must be really hurting for it and need all the help they can get.

Scenario 2: it's 8 pm, the party is in a safe place, but in the morning is heading in that dangerous area. Wizard "ok I have seven spell slots left, let me dump them all in healing elixirs before I take my short rest".

So the wizard or warlock can become a fairly beefy healer with this!

Essentially it allows the transfer/preservation of spell slots and could lead to a lot of stored healing elixirs. In other words it is a great way to use "wasted " slots.

This scenario is a bit cheesy as it takes advantage of a quirk in the resting mechanic.

That said, it's actually quite risky. The wizard is really banking on the fact that they're in a safe spot! If it's not as safe as he thinks, a random encounter perhaps, his resources are now massively depleted and he has put himself and the party in big trouble. This is particularly true at the low levels this spell is most useful as the, camp away from danger spells (rope trick, tiny hut, etc) are not yet a thing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
1: If you have the time to cast, rest, cast, rest, cast, rest.... you could just take a long rest instead.
2: Walking into a dungeon with a few extra HP in your back pocket won't break things.

Just let them be "clever". You can always add an extra monster if things are too easy.

Remove ads