Healing elixir: potential for abuse?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
1: If you have the time to cast, rest, cast, rest, cast, rest.... you could just take a long rest instead.
2: Walking into a dungeon with a few extra HP in your back pocket won't break things.

Just let them be "clever". You can always add an extra monster if things are too easy.

1: This is something that could be done in the day, and head out in mid afternoon (this assume there is no big time pressure, of course). Why would the warlock take a long rest when all she needs to refresh her powers is a short one? Create 2-3 potions, meditate an hour, do it again...

2: Well, that could easily be 6-10 healing potions - it's a bit more than a few ;)

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Personally, I think it's a spell that should only be on the artificer's (once it's published) spell list, and moved to 2nd-level (so it can't be had with the Magic Initiate feat). Otherwise, it should die in a fire.

mellored

Legend
1: This is something that could be done in the day, and head out in mid afternoon (this assume there is no big time pressure, of course). Why would the warlock take a long rest when all she needs to refresh her powers is a short one? Create 2-3 potions, meditate an hour, do it again...

2: Well, that could easily be 6-10 healing potions - it's a bit more than a few ;)
That's when you make an NPC thief.

Really, any adventuring party will attract thieves trailing behind them.

Croesus

Adventurer
My group's solution was to say any healing elixirs created in this way lose their magic when the caster completes a long rest. So there's no point in casting this right before taking a long rest. While a wizard could create some at the start of day, then take a short rest to get a few slots back (Arcane Recovery), that's fine - he's giving up a once/day ability, which he might wish he still had later in the day.

As for warlocks, we have a house rule that a party can only take two short rests between each long rest. So if the warlock uses up those short rests to recharge his spell slots for this purpose, that restricts the entire party for that day.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That's when you make an NPC thief.

Really, any adventuring party will attract thieves trailing behind them.

Although, in general, thievery should always be a risk (although seriously, adventuring parties can go on a murderous spree so it's very risky stealing from them!), in this case, given that the potions expire after 24 hours, it seems like a foolish thing to steal...

Alexemplar

First Post
Although, in general, thievery should always be a risk (although seriously, adventuring parties can go on a murderous spree so it's very risky stealing from them!), in this case, given that the potions expire after 24 hours, it seems like a foolish thing to steal...

That just gave me an idea for a huckster potion salesman.

Croesus

Adventurer
That just gave me an idea for a huckster potion salesman.

Be sure that the huckster uses the name of one of the PCs, so when they go into a neighboring town that's heard of the charlatan, they get blamed. That will give the party a reason to track the guy down.

Is this actually a Warlock spell? Or are multiclassing shenanigans required for the short-rest potion-production exploit?

I personally would simply rule that any spell slot spent on producing such a potion cannot be regained until the potion is used or loses its power.
That fits in better with the way that the potions produced by the Artificer wizard archetype work.

Remove ads