D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything gets the Shadow Sorcerer

JRedmond

Explorer
I'm pretty excited about this one. See video below, what are your thoughts?

[video=youtube;xllcrXJ_q4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xllcrXJ_q4Y&t=0s[/video]

Ketser

First Post
I had hoped for the shadow sorcerer ever since the blade bard made his second appearance.

From the sound of it, it seems that its pretty similar to the initial UA version.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I was never so keen on the Hound part of the class, bud it does work for a Malazan Warren of Shadow character.

I'm still hoping we get the Stone Sorcerer.

thethain

First Post
I hope they update it to just allow them to see through magical darkness so its a little better synergy with warlocks. But fun subclass none the less. It does make me sad because it makes it seem like stone sorcerer is that much more unlikely (favored soul being an obvious favorite)

pdegan2814

First Post
I was never so keen on the Hound part of the class, bud it does work for a Malazan Warren of Shadow character.

I'm hoping we get the Stone Sorcerer too, though if I had to pick one other Sorcerer type likely to get in, it's Favored Soul. They've taken a couple of passes at it, and it seems like one that lots of people want.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I'm hoping we get the Stone Sorcerer too, though if I had to pick one other Sorcerer type likely to get in, it's Favored Soul. They've taken a couple of passes at it, and it seems like one that lots of people want.

Yeah that's probably the one that's most in demand.

Ketser

First Post

Well it can be easily reskinned into a shadow apparition or whatever when a hound doesn't feel thematically fitting. I personally like it being the hound because the folkloric Black Dog (and probably because of the possible Malazan reference). Mechanically the ability in the original UA was pretty interesting and definitely had its uses. It was a summon ability, without any concentration involved, that came with additional benefits and most importantly it (and the darkness ability) were both alternate ways to use sorcery points.

So about other sorcerer subclasses. The favored soul (maybe with a name change, to differentiate it from the 3.5 class) is probably in, it was popular, it appeared among the revised sublasses and so on. We know thats its possible, that the fighter gets 3 sublasses from the 25 new, so its also possible to the relatively subclass starved sorcerer. Stone sorcerer has some potential to be one of them, but was it popular enough for that?

jgsugden

Legend
I hope:

#1: The abilities of the class stop using sorcery points. They generally can't compete with the benefits of metamagic, so they won't get used often, rendering the sub-class mostly moot.
#2: The hound scales in power as the character advances. A dire wolf with a low AC and 37 hps will get caught up and eliminated by a lot of area damage impacts at higher level with no real impact on the game.
#3: They fix the range issues. As is in UA, you can be miles away and drop the hound on enemies.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Well it can be easily reskinned into a shadow apparition or whatever when a hound doesn't feel thematically fitting. I personally like it being the hound because the folkloric Black Dog (and probably because of the possible Malazan reference). Mechanically the ability in the original UA was pretty interesting and definitely had its uses. It was a summon ability, without any concentration involved, that came with additional benefits and most importantly it (and the darkness ability) were both alternate ways to use sorcery points.

So about other sorcerer subclasses. The favored soul (maybe with a name change, to differentiate it from the 3.5 class) is probably in, it was popular, it appeared among the revised sublasses and so on. We know thats its possible, that the fighter gets 3 sublasses from the 25 new, so its also possible to the relatively subclass starved sorcerer. Stone sorcerer has some potential to be one of them, but was it popular enough for that?

I have no idea if stone Sorcerer was popular enough.

I like it... so that means it's probably not popular at all.

Remove ads