D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm going by what the market is asking. Curse of Strahd Revamped was $100 four years ago. B&G sells box sets for hundreds of dollars. SJ, PS and BoMT were all around $90. And most consider CoSR and the latter projects inferior. Further, even $150 is steep for a single box set; $30 more gets you ALL three 2024 core books.

I'm not arguing that better campaign settings wouldn't be Appreciated, but I feel they would end up being out priced for all but the most ardent fans and whales.
The Planescape box has a $84.99 MSRP, which would have been about $40 in 1993.

Honestly really not thst much room for splashing box sets on the market.

Hussar

Legend

Of course Star Wars was successful when it was created by a spunky, independent filmmaker in George Lucas. It feels different now that it's just another brand under the Disney umbrella.

Ummm.

At what point was Lucas a “spunky independent film maker”?

That was the summer’s biggest release and an incredibly expensive movie to make that never would have existed if not for the dreaded “C-suites”

Retreater

Legend
Ummm.

At what point was Lucas a “spunky independent film maker”?

That was the summer’s biggest release and an incredibly expensive movie to make that never would have existed if not for the dreaded “C-suites”
In addition to the examples of THX and American Graffiti, I'd point out that A New Hope was a big risk and made with very nontraditional methods outside of the traditional studio system. Even the sequels were made with little studio involvement and with directors outside of the guild (largely because Lucas had been ousted).
That was an era when filmmakers could actually make movies. Today, even established names like Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee can't get movies made through the studio system because they don't make MCU titles.

Hussar

Legend
I’m not sure that one of the most expensive movies made that year counts as “indie”.

Star Wars was designed from the get go as a merchandising scheme. The movie was always secondary to making money from merch.

This notion that Star Wars was some artistic endeavour divorced from money is a myth invented later on. Star Wars is exactly what WotC wants for DnD. A brand. A brand that encompasses far more than just putting bums in seats.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
In a world where thighmaster exists and draws not much more than a chuckle, it bewilders me why we chastise a self made guy from the Midwest trying to make a buck.

Damn him and all that old cobblin’ money!

Rystefn

Explorer
I’m not sure that one of the most expensive movies made that year counts as “indie”.
It could be the most expensive film ever made, past, present, and future, and it would still count as indie if it was made independently of the studio system.

Vaalingrade

Legend
That was an era when filmmakers could actually make movies. Today, even established names like Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee can't get movies made through the studio system because they don't make MCU titles.
I don't think people who say this actually stop and look at how many and what kind of movies get made every year.

Only 2-3 three of those are EVER MCU movies and at most like 15-20 are even something that would be considered blockbusters.

There are multiple whole film festivals where big dumb fun movies aren't even allowed.

Remove ads