D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think your Star Wars example is a good example of how things look different in hindsight.

Star Wars was a spunky independent filmmakers dream; when A New Hope was being made. By the time Return of the Jedi was being made, Lucasfilm was its own corporate juggernaut. Toys and merchandise were everywhere. Decisions in the movie were made due to branding ideas (cute teddy bears help defeat the Empire? They will sell millions!). When the prequels came out, you could not swing a stick without hitting a Star Wars branded item.

Disney didn't do anything to Star Wars that Lucasfilm wasn't already doing. Perhaps it is only a matter of scale.

Unfortunately, we have reached a point where things we love are hoovered up and either pimped to excess or lost forever. (The video game industry is a good snapshot of what that looks like).
Yeah, and Gygax andTSR in general when it was "by gamers, for gamers"...yeesh, they weren't more pro-consuner or less rapacious than any larger corporation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did you read SCAG?

But multiple settings makes bad business sense anyway. They can’t be successful without hurting some other part of the IP.

5e has, quite rightly, focused on supporting homebrew settings for the most part.
5E Setting spooks have pulled the nest trick of being decent books for homebrewers to use.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I do feel that there is has a BIG drop in quality for WotC's D&D products over the past few years, especially when it comes to settings (I'm looking at you, Planescape and Spelljammer).
If WotC's not going to give settings the love they deserve, they should license them out to other companies.
That would be nice. But at least we have the DMsGuild.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Did you read SCAG?
SCAG is fine but isn't as comprehensive as the old setting guides for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition.

The lack of gloriously packed boxed sets for settings is my biggest gripe with WotC's management of the D&D brand. I'm sure another publisher could put out lovingly detailed campaign settings and turn a profit (which would be shared with WotC, as the licensor).

I'd imagine that Kickstarters for boxed sets of beloved settings like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Dark Sun, etc. would be well-received and funded. While there are are many who wouldn't be interested in such products; there are also plenty of middle-aged nerds (like me) who'd love them and buy them all!

Remathilis

Legend
SCAG is fine but isn't as comprehensive as the old setting guides for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd edition.

The lack of gloriously packed boxed sets for settings is my biggest gripe with WotC's management of the D&D brand. I'm sure another publisher could put out lovingly detailed campaign settings and turn a profit (which would be shared with WotC, as the licensor).

I'd imagine that Kickstarters for boxed sets of beloved settings like Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Dark Sun, etc. would be well-received and funded. While there are are many who wouldn't be interested in such products; there are also plenty of middle-aged nerds (like me) who'd love them and buy them all!

Box sets 30 years ago were loss to publish. They didn't make back their costs. Looking at SJ and PS slipcase boxes and their cost, and then think how much more you're asking. We're in Beadle's and Grim territory now.

So question is would you buy them all at a price point of $200 to $300 per box?

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, and Gygax andTSR in general when it was "by gamers, for gamers"...yeesh, they weren't more pro-consuner or less rapacious than any larger corporation.
Gary was shopping the rights to D&D in Hollywood in the 80s. There is a reason we have the D&D cartoon and LJN figures from that era. D&D's "small time gamers self publishing rules for other gamers" ends sometime around 1980, give or take.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Box sets 30 years ago were loss to publish. They didn't make back their costs. Looking at SJ and PS slipcase boxes and their cost, and then think how much more you're asking. We're in Beadle's and Grim territory now.

I would... if the boxed set was of high quality and comprehensive.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!

I have always thought Greyhawk was the coolest. Cue the angry comic book guy to come in and tell me it’s generic!

Whatever, Iuz is jacked up evil and Por is cool!

I would fork it out for a boxed set…

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

Maybe not $200, but I’d pay $150 for 320-384 pages of setting material in a box with an insert or two (especially if the insert is a cool map).

Remathilis

Legend
Maybe not $200, but I’d pay $150 for 320-384 pages of setting material in a box with an insert or two (especially if the insert is a cool map).
I'm going by what the market is asking. Curse of Strahd Revamped was $100 four years ago. B&G sells box sets for hundreds of dollars. SJ, PS and BoMT were all around $90. And most consider CoSR and the latter projects inferior. Further, even $150 is steep for a single box set; $30 more gets you ALL three 2024 core books.

I'm not arguing that better campaign settings wouldn't be Appreciated, but I feel they would end up being out priced for all but the most ardent fans and whales.

Remove ads