D&D 5E Would a Goodberry satisfy a Giant?

Racing Breca

Villager
As the title implies, I'd like to know how you think a Hill Giant would react to being offered a Goodberry by a Halfling Tranquility Monk/ Moon Druid?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I would play it acts like a day's worth of food for a human. The giant would appreciate it but still be hungry. Also hill giants probably prefer meat.

Nevvur

Explorer
Assumptions: the giant is open to dialog, and wouldn't just try to eat the halfling as a matter of course.

The way I would play the giant, he would find the offering of a single berry meaningless, and might even become offended if it's presented as a gift of food to appease him. He would be skeptical about the berry's properties if it were explained to him, but may accept the explanation if the halfling explicitly states its a magical berry. However, this could also cause him to become suspicious.

To answer the title question, it would satisfy the giant's nutritional requirements for the day. However, hill giants are also notoriously greedy. My giant would ask for additional berries. If the halfling is stupid enough to tell him they expire quickly, he would want to keep the halfling. For all his stupidity, my giant has a single mindedness about staying fed that occasionally manifests as practicality.

Harzel

Adventurer
Yup, even though it provides enough nourishment to sustain the giant for one day, it doesn't make him feel full/sated.

Dausuul

Legend
The giant instantly becomes addicted to goodberries and demands more, roaring and stomping. Savvy PCs can manipulate it in a variety of ways at this point.

I didn't know so many people liked the idea of Goodberry not taking care of the recipient's hunger. I always thought the spirit of the spell was that a creature consumes a berry, and for that day was good to go for food.

So to actually answer though, I would have the berry satisfy the giant for a day just like any other creature.

Yardiff

Adventurer
The Goodberry spell says its provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day. What would/should happen if more then one are eaten in a single day?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The Goodberry spell says its provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day. What would/should happen if more then one are eaten in a single day?

Each one will satisfy you for the day. It just happens the day for the second+ of them overlap with the first.

It's magically doing it - the same goodberry that would feed a human for a day will not over-sate a tiny faerie, nor be too little for the t-rex. (Though the t-rex may like to hunt anyhow.)

Yardiff

Adventurer
Each one will satisfy you for the day. It just happens the day for the second+ of them overlap with the first.

It's magically doing it - the same goodberry that would feed a human for a day will not over-sate a tiny faerie, nor be too little for the t-rex. (Though the t-rex may like to hunt anyhow.)

The problem I have with this spell is its over powered for its level. Compare the 3rd level create food and drink, it creates enough food to feed 15 humanoid sized creatures. While goodberry, a first level spell, can feed 10 gargantuan creatures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases