D&D 5E Would a Goodberry satisfy a Giant?

Satyrn

First Post
I love the tangents on this forum.

Goodberry OP or Not?

The background is that the party has just mopped the floor with a couple giants, bugbears, and a horde of goblins. The druid/ monk tracked them into the woods by himself. Rather than send them back to the boss empty handed, the character wanted to give them something to take back, along with a message.

Ideally, if I was DMing this, I'd make the giants sceptical about the worth of these berries, but take them anyway. This ought to make the players uncertain about whether the "bribe" work.

Later, the boss discovers the berries are awesome, but doesn't share that info with his minions. At this point, the minions aren't sold on the monk's gift, but the boss is. So when the monk and boss encounter each either next they'll be on friendly terms. (Assuming the message isn't unfriendly)

But the minions aren't so sure about it all.

There ought to be some fun roleplaying to be had out of all that.

Ideally, if I was DMing this, I'd make the giants sceptical about the worth of these berries, but take them anyway. This ought to make the players uncertain about whether the "bribe" work.

Later, the boss discovers the berries are awesome, but doesn't share that info with his minions. At this point, the minions aren't sold on the monk's gift, but the boss is. So when the monk and boss encounter each either next they'll be on friendly terms. (Assuming the message isn't unfriendly)

But the minions aren't so sure about it all.

There ought to be some fun roleplaying to be had out of all that.

The 24-hour time limit for them to be effective could play into this as well. Does the boss giant try them while they are still magical or wait too long to try them and find they are just normal berries?

Yardiff

Adventurer
Pretty sure you could grant Galactus immunity to 5th level and lower spells, which would include Goodberries.

Magic is magic, and druids are especially able to provide sustenance. It is worth noting that the create food and water spell specifically creates permanent 30 gallons of water, which has uses beyond food.

Is this statement strictly based on the Goodberry spell? Sure it creates lots water that doesn't go away or go bad in 24hrs but it is a 3rd level spell after all

thethain

First Post
Is this statement strictly based on the Goodberry spell? Sure it creates lots water that doesn't go away or go bad in 24hrs but it is a 3rd level spell after all

Druids are masters of nature, in addition to goodberry they can also cause plant growth to double the crop growth of an area for a year. Or change the weather to rain on fields. Druidcraft can cause a plant to bud (skip a week of natural growing)

Racing Breca

Villager
Update:

We played this scenario the other day, and I wanted to let you know how it was handled.

The Monk/ Druid came out from a bank of fog and addressed the Giants. They were skeptical at first, but very hungry and very discouraged by having nothing to bring back to their leader.

They each tasted a Goodberry and felt full.

The Druid gave them more to give to their leader, so that they wouldn’t get into trouble. Those extra goodberries never made it to the chief. The assumption is that they ate the Goodberries because they are glutonous pigs with no executive function do to their limited pre-frontal cortex.

Thanks for all the posts!

Satyrn

First Post
Update:

We played this scenario the other day, and I wanted to let you know how it was handled.

The Monk/ Druid came out from a bank of fog and addressed the Giants. They were skeptical at first, but very hungry and very discouraged by having nothing to bring back to their leader.

They each tasted a Goodberry and felt full.

The Druid gave them more to give to their leader, so that they wouldn’t get into trouble. Those extra goodberries never made it to the chief. The assumption is that they ate the Goodberries because they are glutonous pigs with no executive function do to their limited pre-frontal cortex.

Thanks for all the posts!

Nice!

And you're welcome.

Remove ads