Unearthed Arcana Four New Elf Subraces in Unearthed Arcana

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

This month's Unearthed Arcana article gives us four new elf subraces to playtest. "After the positive response to the eladrin a couple of months ago in Unearthed Arcana, we decided to explore four more elf subraces: avariel (winged elves), grugach (the wild elves of Greyhawk), sea elves, and shadar-kai (deathly servants of the Raven Queen)."

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 00.22.33.png

MechaPilot

Explorer
I don't think so. Only a brief description is really needed. If they want to put in cultural information for them then that is more for a setting book in my opinion. The players and DMs should be adding the information for the culture to the subraces if they use them.

The signature of champions.

I didn't say they had to write 5-10 pages about it. I just said they needed to have a significant cultural difference. There should be something in the subrace that actually justifies its existence as more than a bag of alternate mechanics.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I didn't say they had to write 5-10 pages about it. I just said they needed to have a significant cultural difference. There should be something in the subrace that actually justifies its existence as more than a bag of alternate mechanics.
I guess I just don't see a significant cultural difference as a need for justifying a subrace.

The signature of champions.

I don't think so. Only a brief description is really needed. If they want to put in cultural information for them then that is more for a setting book in my opinion. The players and DMs should be adding the information for the culture to the subraces if they use them.
I'd prefer more information about their culture, place in the setting etc. For example I'm still a little fuzzy on why there needs to be a difference between wood elves and wild elves. I'd like something a little more nuanced than "This elf subrace is optimised for these classes, and this other elf subrace is optimised for these classes instead."

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd prefer more information about their culture, place in the setting etc. For example I'm still a little fuzzy on why there needs to be a difference between wood elves and wild elves. I'd like something a little more nuanced than "This elf subrace is optimised for these classes, and this other elf subrace is optimised for these classes instead."

That's why I mentioned that it is for a setting book to expand on it. They have the stats of the subrace and a short blurb about them I really don't need any more than that for a UA article, they could have even gone "This is how we'd do sea elves" and left it at that. If they later add them to a book then that is where I'd like to see more information in how they fit into a setting but in an article providing playtest material, not so much.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

But wouldn't the culture depend on the DMs world?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure, but they should give us some significant cultural difference to enhance the roleplaying aspect of the subraces as well, instead of just altering the mechanics and slapping a "_____ Elf" sticker on it.
UA is mostly about mechanics, not fluff too much: that's what the books are for once they've got the feel and mechanics down.

MechaPilot

Explorer
But wouldn't the culture depend on the DMs world?

Yes and no.

Yes, because DM's can make their worlds be whatever they want.

No, because if "culture depends on the DM's world" were actually applied then none of the races or subraces in the PHB would have any culture descriptions. Either culture depends on the DM's world, and none of the races or subraces should have culture descriptions, or DMs have the right to make their worlds however they want but each race and subrace will be described with a default culture (which is the paradigm that the PHB uses).

ZickZak

Explorer
I play only elves really, or half elves, and the Shadar-kai subrace is exactly what I would want for Hexblade, my main. Not only from RP PoV, but also because Thaumaturgy and Teleportation are the two features I would pick for my race if I could chose from anything.
Whether or not the Teleport resistances are there isnt important to me.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Sure, but they should give us some significant cultural difference to enhance the roleplaying aspect of the subraces as well, instead of just altering the mechanics and slapping a "_____ Elf" sticker on it.

Oh, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. Definitely something I plan to do anyway the next time I run a campaign (which will be using a homebrew setting).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes and no.

Yes, because DM's can make their worlds be whatever they want.

No, because if "culture depends on the DM's world" were actually applied then none of the races or subraces in the PHB would have any culture descriptions. Either culture depends on the DM's world, and none of the races or subraces should have culture descriptions, or DMs have the right to make their worlds however they want but each race and subrace will be described with a default culture (which is the paradigm that the PHB uses).

Fair enough.

Remove ads

Remove ads