Looking for a Hexblade Bladelock Build

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I don't see why eldritch blast wouldn't be an option for the War Caster attack of opportunity.

A ranged spell attack would be made at disadvantage if you're within 5ft of your target, so it's usually not a great spell to choose for a War Caster's opportunity attack. However, the attack of opportunity in this build is made at 10ft thanks to picking polearm master and using a reach weapon.

Warcaster lets you cast a spell on an Attack of Opportunity that can only target a single creature.

After lvl 5, Eldritch Blast can target multiple creatures and is no longer usable with Warcaster.

[Edit: Sorry, I was incorrect on this. I think I was confusing it with the errata for the Twinned Spell metamagic.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/10/21...youre-level-5/ ]

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
The shadow sorcerer would be a great class for someone else to take for ranged damage and darkness synergy. To my knowledge, the shadow sorcerer is the only class that can see in magical darkness at an early level. They use 2 sorc points to cast darkness, and casting in this way allows them to see through that darkness.
Shadow sorcerer can only see though their own darkness, warlocks can see though anyones.

So it would have to be the shadow sorcerer who cast the spell. Which would leave the warlock open to cast hex.

BlueMoonX79

First Post
What about (assuming I live to Level 7) Shadow of Moil? In its description, I become "heavily obscured to others," and that seems to be separate from its effect of causing light/dim light to darken.

At that point, would dropping Darkness (while keeping Devil's Sight if I run Vuman) be viable? Enemies would get disadvantage hitting me regardless; if they do, they take damage. Whether or not I'd get advantage due to being able to see them regardless, I don't know.

mellored

Legend
What about (assuming I live to Level 7) Shadow of Moil? In its description, I become "heavily obscured to others," and that seems to be separate from its effect of causing light/dim light to darken.

At that point, would dropping Darkness (while keeping Devil's Sight if I run Vuman) be viable? Enemies would get disadvantage hitting me regardless; if they do, they take damage. Whether or not I'd get advantage due to being able to see them regardless, I don't know.
Yes. It effectivly does the same thing darkness does (they can't see you, you can see them) but also works against true sight and blind sight (though not tremorsense). Plus a little bit of damage and radiant resist that will rarely see play.

Except that it only last 1 minute. Darkness last 10. So it's not a perfect upgrade.
Just wait untill then to see which is more useful. Most likely, you'll want both. Considering you only get 2 slots per short rest, know 8 spells, there's room for situational spells.

dc_in_sf

Villager
Darkness doesn't do anything for Gloomstalker. It blocks their darkvision as well as anyone else. Only thing is that you can't see him when he's in darkness.

Still a good sub-class (you could use ranged damage and a scout to know when to cast darkness). There's just no extra synergy.

Devils Sight is not Darkvision, so a warlock would be able to see a gloomstalker

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Zmajdusa

First Post
Sorcerer seems an obvious option, others would depend on whether you meet the requirements. I would suggest Ranger if you have the stats and plan on using a bow, you can always switch out Thirsting Blade for a different Invocation when you get extra attack with the Ranger. Both Sorcerer and Ranger have spells you can use, and the extra spell slots that you can't use to smite with. Sorcerer will let you use spells on a bonus action, and Ranger has solid ways to give you advantage without caring about the senses of the monster.

Remove ads