Looking for a Hexblade Bladelock Build

BlueMoonX79

First Post
Hey there! First time poster, but I've browsed these forums for a long time and there's some amazing insight here, so I could use some of that help.

My group and I are getting ready to do ToA for Adventurers League, and I really want to be a Hexblade Warlock w/Pact of the Blade for my group. But I'm... pretty bad at optimization. Normally I can wing it well enough to do stuff but ToA doesn't joke around, so I gotta bring something really good.

My goal is to be a melee expert for combat, but obviously as a warlock I should still have some good spell backups/support in and out of combat.

If anyone has build suggestions/optimization ideas, I'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance for any help :D

EDIT: I should mention the party build in case that's needed!

-Divine Soul Sorcerer
-Circle of Dreams Druid
-Forge Cleric
-1 other class (player has been sick so they haven't gotten much time to plan)

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
You have 3 healers, so you need to do damage.

Start varient human with inspiring leader (if someone else doesn't have it) and sword and board. 16 Cha, 16 Con, 14 Dex, 10 Wis.

Pick up devils sight (to make up for your lack of darkvision) and agonizing blast at 2, polearm master at level 4 (drop the shield), thirsting blade at 5, improved pact weapon at 7 (if you don't find a magic weapon), great weapon master at 8, and eldrich smite at 9. If you make it to 12, life drinker and +2 Cha.

For spells, take defensive (shield, Armor of Agathy, etc..) and utility (misty step, dimension door, fly, etc...). Leave offense to your weapon. And try and avoid overlapping utility with the other casters.
Darkness (with devils sight) works for both offense and defense, but only if you can cast it before battle.
Don't take hex or any smite spells you will be using your bonus action for polearm. Also, avoid too many concentration spells as you will be taking hits, and any blasting spells; you have 2 fireballers.

Stand in front of your allies (next to forge), but don't rush into rooms. Use eldrich blast and let the enemy come to you (getting a free attack).
Though if your 5th member is a tank (paladin, barbarian), follow in right behind him. If he hasn't decided, suggest ranged damage (arcane archer fighter, gloom stalker ranger, scout rogue).

For party tactics, get buffed by the cleric and sorcerer, with extra focus on on to-hit buffs (elemental weapon, greater invisibility) once you get great weapon master. Let the druid uses control spells (gust of wind, spiked growth) to keep enemies at bay. Though be flexible. There may be times where the cleric should use spiritual guardian, the sorcerer use hypnotic pattern, or druid use polymorph.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Variant human could start str 14 and take heavy armor proficiency...that gets you to 15 so you can eventually wear plate and you never need to touch strength again.

McKillicuddy

First Post
Variant human could start str 14 and take heavy armor proficiency...that gets you to 15 so you can eventually wear plate and you never need to touch strength again.

That's an idea, but I'd rather stick with medium armor and dump STR. With a +2 DEX Modifier, you'd be at 17 AC in half plate, compared to 18 AC in full plate. The cost to get that 1 extra AC in heavy armor is that you're paying for a feat and and pumping STR to 14 instead of pumping a different attribute. Dumping STR and pumping DEX to 14 also gives you the +2 modifier to initiative and a more useful saving throw.

Last edited:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Actually that makes sense. -2 initiative and a feat for +1 AC (and some carrying capacity stuff nobody keeps track of) is not a great trade-off.

Maybe instead do Mellored's build but start 15 in constitution and take resilient (con) instead.

McKillicuddy

First Post
For a starting feat, I think War Caster would be a good one for this build. Gives you advantage on Concentration saving throws, as well as the ability to cast a spell on an attack of opportunity. Would allow you to cast either Repelling Blast or Booming Blade as an Attack of Opportunity when an approaching enemy gets within 10ft thanks to the Polearm Master feat.

Repelling blast hits for Agonizing Blast damage and knocks the creature back another 10 ft, meaning it would need another 20ft of movement to get to you.

At level 5, Booming blade would hit with Pact Weapon damage +1d8, plus 2d8 more if it continues the other 5ft to get into its melee range with you.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
For a starting feat, I think War Caster would be a good one for this build. Gives you advantage on Concentration saving throws, as well as the ability to cast a spell on an attack of opportunity. Would allow you to cast either Repelling Blast or Booming Blade as an Attack of Opportunity when an approaching enemy gets within 10ft thanks to the Polearm Master feat.

Repelling blast hits for Agonizing Blast damage and knocks the creature back another 10 ft, meaning it would need another 20ft of movement to get to you.

At level 5, Booming blade would hit with Pact Weapon damage +1d8, plus 2d8 more if it continues the other 5ft to get into its melee range with you.

I have been away for a while. Can you really use eldritch blast with war caster? Regardless, booming blade with warcaster is still quite nice.

McKillicuddy

First Post
I don't see why eldritch blast wouldn't be an option for the War Caster attack of opportunity.

A ranged spell attack would be made at disadvantage if you're within 5ft of your target, so it's usually not a great spell to choose for a War Caster's opportunity attack. However, the attack of opportunity in this build is made at 10ft thanks to picking polearm master and using a reach weapon.

mellored

Legend
I don't see why eldritch blast wouldn't be an option for the War Caster attack of opportunity.

A ranged spell attack would be made at disadvantage if you're within 5ft of your target, so it's usually not a great spell to choose for a War Caster's opportunity attack. However, the attack of opportunity in this build is made at 10ft thanks to picking polearm master and using a reach weapon.
If you mean the polearm master's extra attack when they enter your reach, then that needs to be taken with a polearm. (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/16/polearm-caster/).

If you mean the one when they leave your reach (irrelevant of the Polearm feat), then yes, eldritch blast works, and without disadvantage at 10'. (Or crossbow expertise).

The real question is is Warcaster better than +2 Cha?
To which I answer, maybe...

Remove ads