Looking for a Hexblade Bladelock Build

Soleil01001

First Post
I've been considering playing a half-drow for the extra spells. You can start with cha 17 and at level 4 or 8 pick up elven acc (rounding your cha to 18), this way you can get triple advantage coupled with GWM and a higher crit chance when coupled with hexblade curse.

mellored

Legend
I've been considering playing a half-drow for the extra spells. You can start with cha 17 and at level 4 or 8 pick up elven acc (rounding your cha to 18), this way you can get triple advantage coupled with GWM and a higher crit chance when coupled with hexblade curse.
Yup. That works nicely.

You just need to make sure to cast darkness/shadows of moil before combat, so as not to waste your first turn on it.
Also, you need a bonus action for the curse, so you won't get your bonus attack until turn 2. So save it for the biggest target.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Start as variant human. Take polearm master at level 1. Use a quarterstaff and a shield. It's chessy but by rule its possible in 5e.

At level 3 you will have the darkness devils sight combo. At level 4 you pick up GWM and from there it should be a cake walk.

Soleil01001

First Post
Yup. That works nicely.

You just need to make sure to cast darkness/shadows of moil before combat, so as not to waste your first turn on it.
Also, you need a bonus action for the curse, so you won't get your bonus attack until turn 2. So save it for the biggest target.

Fortunately there is EB for when you burn your BA. Now the question is, to multiclass or to not? If so, maybe at lvl 12?

BlueMoonX79

First Post
A lot of good stuff here, thanks a lot! All this discussion certainly has my gears rolling!

On an update side, when I told my group how the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo worked (among other things), there's been a slight change in the group. The druid (among realizing we have a lot of healing) is thinking he may change to Gloom Stalker to take advantage of the darkness. The Forge Cleric is... 50/50 on either sticking to that or doing Ancestor Barbarian so we have a proper tank vs me being a pseudo-tank. Does that change anything I should aim for?

mellored

Legend
A lot of good stuff here, thanks a lot! All this discussion certainly has my gears rolling!

On an update side, when I told my group how the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo worked (among other things), there's been a slight change in the group. The druid (among realizing we have a lot of healing) is thinking he may change to Gloom Stalker to take advantage of the darkness. The Forge Cleric is... 50/50 on either sticking to that or doing Ancestor Barbarian so we have a proper tank vs me being a pseudo-tank. Does that change anything I should aim for?
Darkness doesn't do anything for Gloomstalker. It blocks their darkvision as well as anyone else. Only thing is that you can't see him when he's in darkness.

Still a good sub-class (you could use ranged damage and a scout to know when to cast darkness). There's just no extra synergy.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The scariest party would be a party full of darkness devil sight warlocks... Maybe have one character be a shadow sorcerer for good measure!

McKillicuddy

First Post
Darkness doesn't do anything for Gloomstalker. It blocks their darkvision as well as anyone else. Only thing is that you can't see him when he's in darkness.

Still a good sub-class (you could use ranged damage and a scout to know when to cast darkness). There's just no extra synergy.

The shadow sorcerer would be a great class for someone else to take for ranged damage and darkness synergy. To my knowledge, the shadow sorcerer is the only class that can see in magical darkness at an early level. They use 2 sorc points to cast darkness, and casting in this way allows them to see through that darkness.

Remove ads