D&D 5E Move over Fireball and Spirit Guardians, there is a new best 3rd level spell sheriff in town!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Really, the crazy thing about the spell is how well it scales. It starts at one tiny servant, but you get an additional two per level. Simply by upcasting it a single level you've tripled the power of this spell.

My friends, we have missed a portentous opportunity.

Based on this analysis, one would say that the "optimal" level to cast this spell is at level 4. This, on the surface, appears correct.

However, I had a dream last night, a vision (fever may have been involved). We were wrong, oh so wrong. The "best" spell slot level to cast this spell is not 4, it is 5? Why 5 you say? Because you get 5 servants? Why does this matter you say?

While this is not written in the book per say, I believe that once, as me, you have seen the light, you will realize that this clearly is the rule as intended, and that WotC will submit an errata at any moment now.

It's because the 5 tiny servants UNITE AND FORM VOLTRON!!!!

admit it - you see it now - the power, the BEAUTY!

AriochQ

Adventurer
shanara does technically have cellphones.

I thought the same thing! I had read the books as a teen, and when I saw the entirely mediocre TV series I saw a rusted car and remembered that it was supposed to be a post-holocaust setting. I had totally forgotten about that part.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Fill one up with a dangerous substance and send it after your foes - even in death, the Tiny Servant will shower your enemies with acid - or worse!

This technically requires a sympathetic DM ruling, as Jeremy Crawford has clarified that spell effects do not count toward activating the 'on attack' effects of alchemists fire or acid:

Jeremy Crawford on Twitter said:
A DM might decide that a flask of alchemist's fire breaks as a result of something other than the attack in the flask's rule. If so, I recommend dealing the fire damage, but don't treat the delivery of that damage as an attack that hit, since no attack roll occurred.

The origin of this clarification is Crawford's observation that the Catapult spell does not deal damage from alchemists fire or acid if the spell is used to hurl a flask of those objects:

Jeremy Crawford on Twitter said:
The catapult spell deals only its damage, not the damage of an object you hurl with it. However, if you use the spell to hurl a breakable object, like a flask of alchemist's fire, the DM might rule that the thing does break. If so, follow the rules for the breakable object.

--
Pauper

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This technically requires a sympathetic DM ruling, as Jeremy Crawford has clarified that spell effects do not count toward activating the 'on attack' effects of alchemists fire or acid:

The origin of this clarification is Crawford's observation that the Catapult spell does not deal damage from alchemists fire or acid if the spell is used to hurl a flask of those objects:

--
Pauper
Crawford has clearly never broken a jar full of angry bees.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
On this Canada Day (and soon to be July 4rth), I remind you all that you can use your Tiny servant to set off the fireworks. Safety folks!

... or make the firework *be* the tiny servant? Hmmmmmmm

Joebing69

First Post
I see bad things coming involving a tiny servant carrying oil and a fireball spell. Very bad things.

(My players are pyromaniacs...as most chefs are)

Remove ads