D&D 5E Move over Fireball and Spirit Guardians, there is a new best 3rd level spell sheriff in town!

gyor

Legend
On this Canada Day (and soon to be July 4rth), I remind you all that you can use your Tiny servant to set off the fireworks. Safety folks!

... or make the firework *be* the tiny servant? Hmmmmmmm

Happy Canada day and remember to have your tiny servants spade or neutered.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
remember to have your tiny servants spade or neutered.

Improved Tiny servant: Improved Tiny servant can cast Improved tiny servant as a 5th level slot once per day. :O :O :O :O

... who knew destroying the world would be so simple?

Ganders

Explorer
Any long-duration spell without concentration will be very good. But there are limitations. It's remarkably similar to Animate Dead, actually... but with shorter creatures for a shorter duration.

But first... Unseen Servant was mentioned. Unseen Servant is quite limited if your DM reads it carefully. For many of us it can't do 'anything a human servant could do', rather only the simpler tasks that a human servant would *typically* do. If it's not fetching, cleaning, or serving, it can't do it. For instance, it not only has no climb speed but it can't climb anything, ever... sometimes it can't even climb onto a table. And it can't hook grappling hooks to anything. It might be able to deliver one on a silver platter, but it can't hook it over the edge of a wall. If your DM lets it do more, that's probably why you like the spell.

Tiny Servant is wizard only -- so I don't see how it could replace Spirit Guardians in any way.

Tiny Servant goes beyond pretty much all the Unseen Servant limitations. Even the limitations of Tiny size are mostly mitigated by having a climb speed. But it's worth noting that Tiny Servants can't high jump, not even one inch. It's reasonable to let a Tiny Servant be as much as 2 feet tall (but probably 2 feet tall *after* sprouting legs is more appropriate), and so it might be able to reach its hands 3 feet high... but that's probably the limit. With a running start it can cross potholes, but it'll never make it across a 5 foot wide pit. It might be able to climb out of the pit after falling though.

Also, remember that specific commands take one bonus action each. Having five servants can be very effective if you issue general commands like 'everyone kill the nearest orc' (and watch the wording -- 'everyone attack the nearest orc' will be much less effective). But for doing five different things, such as 'roll up my bedroll and fetch me that lantern, and my sword, and my backpack, and waterskin' will still take five rounds, just like it would if you only had one Tiny Servant.

jgsugden

Legend
You can issue a command to a tiny servant and it will follow that command until completed. As such, you can have several multi-round orders in place at a time. You can even synchronize their orders by giving them a command to "X when Y happens".

Regardless, I've seen players try to make use of this spell in combat. The idea was that they needed an extra set of hands to perform certain tasks while the PCs fought. However, the DM rightly ruled that it could not perform a lot of the tasks requested because it lacked the strength and intelligence (meaning it required more specific commands) necessary to do so. Inevitably, too, it was being destroyed when a blast spell/breath/etc... took place. There was an interesting question when an Intellect Devourer decided to make it prey.... but generally it disappointed. The wizards in question stopped using it.

Given the plethora of amazing 3rd level iconic spells, I don't see this being anything more than an amusing "around town" spell used to fetch things that are far away or to impress folks.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You can issue a command to a tiny servant and it will follow that command until completed. As such, you can have several multi-round orders in place at a time. You can even synchronize their orders by giving them a command to "X when Y happens".

Regardless, I've seen players try to make use of this spell in combat. The idea was that they needed an extra set of hands to perform certain tasks while the PCs fought. However, the DM rightly ruled that it could not perform a lot of the tasks requested because it lacked the strength and intelligence (meaning it required more specific commands) necessary to do so. Inevitably, too, it was being destroyed when a blast spell/breath/etc... took place. There was an interesting question when an Intellect Devourer decided to make it prey.... but generally it disappointed. The wizards in question stopped using it.

Given the plethora of amazing 3rd level iconic spells, I don't see this being anything more than an amusing "around town" spell used to fetch things that are far away or to impress folks.

*re-reads the OP*

*reads claims that tiny servants lacks intelligence*

hmmmmmm....

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Tiny Servant is wizard only -- so I don't see how it could replace Spirit Guardians in any way.

I mean in its iconic-icity, I know it's not a clerical spell.

I know it may be not evident now, but 20 years from now you'll be looking back and thinking "wow, I remember when Tiny Servant became a part of D&D"

Last edited:

Remove ads