D&D 5E Mike Mearls - Reddit AMA

Nagol

Unimportant
I'm going to call BS on this argument. Though I life in what most would consider 3rd world country, everyone I meet here has a bank account and credit cards, even 70 year old farmers living in the isolated mountains of Adjara, as well as most high school students. The only thing stop someone from getting a bank account or credit card is stubbornness, idealism, or pure laziness.

I thought that too -- until a company I worked for expanded into the U.S. Setting up a payroll system for the new territory was eye-opening. We had to plan for a cheque-based delivery system (and weren't even allowed to use the word 'cheque' since the banks thought it was a miss-spelling that would render the document void so 'check' is became!). We needed a cheque-based system which we didn't have in Canada because a good percentage of the front-line staff didn't have bank accounts we could use for direct-deposit.

Wait there are groups who play with more than one PHB? Wow. That's something I've never seen, honestly. In high school, I played with a group of 11, in which only one of us had a PHB and MM. No one had a DMG. Same thing in my university group.

I've typically seen 4 PHB per 5 players in the group and a smattering of other books depending on how into the game each player gets and if the player considers DMing someday.

kntwriter

Villager
I'm going to call BS on this argument. Though I life in what most would consider 3rd world country, everyone I meet here has a bank account and credit cards, even 70 year old farmers living in the isolated mountains of Adjara, as well as most high school students. The only thing stop someone from getting a bank account or credit card is stubbornness, idealism, or pure laziness.

It surprised me too. But here in the US alot of banks don't allow you to open an account for less than $300. And if you pay cash for alot of things, no credit rating which makes credit card companies cringe. Most of the ones I know like that are college students on a fixed income ( and not alot of it) or kicked out by their parents. They are barely making it from paycheck to paycheck.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I often get the books from Amazon because I have points to use on Amazon from my credit card. Other times I'll buy from my FLGS. I always buy board games from the FLGS, which they care more about anyways.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm going to call BS on this argument.

I live in Los Angeles, which is a very international city. The city is FULL of check-cashing shops. People get paid in a check, and they cash them at a check-cashing store for a fee. No bank account, ever. For some it's because they are undocumented aliens, for others they just make so little there is no real purpose to a bank account. But yeah, lots of people have no bank accounts. And when you run your life like that, you have no credit, so no credit card either.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I live in Los Angeles, which is a very international city. The city is FULL of check-cashing shops. People get paid in a check, and they cash them at a check-cashing store for a fee. No bank account, ever. For some it's because they are undocumented aliens, for others they just make so little there is no real purpose to a bank account. But yeah, lots of people have no bank accounts. And when you run your life like that, you have no credit, so no credit card either.

Yep. This is true.

It still has nothing to do with the concept of donating to stores to keep them in business because they are 'good for the game'.

If you want to donate your money, do it for the person who can't afford to have a bank account.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
BTW, there are prepaid credit cards that are useful for those without bank accounts that want to buy things online.

Remove ads