D&D 5E Mike Mearls - Reddit AMA

CapnZapp

Legend
To put it bluntly stores will have to find a way to compete or go extinct. This is entirely up to them as potential customers do not owe them a thing and if they choose to price themselves out of existence it is just that a choice and a poor one at that.
They're not "pricing themselves out of existence".

If you pay rent and wages you have a higher overhead than if you simply ship out from a warehouse.

It therefore follows physical stores need to offer something Web stores don't. "lowest price" can't be that thing, and trying to compete on price is sheer folly.

Simple as that.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

kntwriter

Villager
The thing that local stores offer over online stores is what the game is all about. Social Interaction. You can't get the same interaction from the internet that you can from a face-to-face meeting with a living person. Sure you can get reviews online or watch a game played on twitch. But it is not the same as seeing the passion on someones face as the talk about their favorite game. Or watch a group play the game live and in person. To me there is just no comparison.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The thing that local stores offer over online stores is what the game is all about. Social Interaction. You can't get the same interaction from the internet that you can from a face-to-face meeting with a living person. Sure you can get reviews online or watch a game played on twitch. But it is not the same as seeing the passion on someones face as the talk about their favorite game. Or watch a group play the game live and in person. To me there is just no comparison.

That’s a great thing to offer, but different people place different value on in-person interaction. For some there is no substitute. For others, the in-person nature of the interaction doesn’t add enough value to be worth the extra cost. That’s up to each individual to decide for themselves.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

I get plenty of social interaction when I play the game.

I play with friends and friends of friends.

I don't need to talk to strangers for my social interaction. Most people playing 5e feel the same way.

kntwriter

Villager
I get plenty of social interaction when I play the game.

I play with friends and friends of friends.

I don't need to talk to strangers for my social interaction. Most people playing 5e feel the same way.
Do most people feel the same way? Because I always see lots of people at my local game store shopping, talking, and playing.

Besides, the first thing I do when I move to a new town is look for a game store. It's the quickest way to find like minded people.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Do most people feel the same way? Because I always see lots of people at my local game store shopping, talking, and playing.

Besides, the first thing I do when I move to a new town is look for a game store. It's the quickest way to find like minded people.

The 5e PHB peaked at #1 on Amazon. Even 3 1/2 years later it sits in the #40-60 range.

5e is far more popular than you realize. Game stores have been around a long time. They were there in 4e but their impact was small.

5e isn't a phenomenon because of droves of people going to game stores.

kntwriter

Villager
I wasn't saying that. Just cause people by some of their stuff on Amazon doesn't mean they don't go to store and buy other things. Or go and meet people to play games or just hangout..

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Another thing to keep in mind is there are a lot of people that play online these days. Whether Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, Tabletop Simulator, or whatever else.

Local game stores are great and all, but for some they just aren't appealing, necessary, or even an option. With the ability to purchase gaming products online, or in mainstream retailers (typically bookstores), and the advent of online play, I don't believe that local games stores are nearly as important to the hobby as they once were. On one hand, that's a sad thing, but the only constant in life is change, so y'know...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I wasn't saying that. Just cause people by some of their stuff on Amazon doesn't mean they don't go to store and buy other things. Or go and meet people to play games or just hangout..

You asked "do most people feel the same way?"

I answered. Now you're saying you didn't ask that? I quoted you.

Some people go to stores, most don't.

I'm not going to go donate $10-20 every time a new book comes out because other people like the store.

I also reject your implication that I don't engage in social interaction in the game because I buy books online.

kntwriter

Villager
No, I said I didn't say anything about the sales. You quoted online sales to say that people don't go to stores anymore. That isn't a good indication. You dont have to buy everything from a store to support it. I just got all three 5e core rulebooks from my game store, because they were on sale, but I buy all my Pathfinder books on Pazio's website.

I also wasn't meaning to imply that you don't get social interaction unless you go to the store. I was stating that that was a benefit of the store. There isn't any social interaction when buying on Amazon. As I said, that is one of the first places I look for when I move to a new town. Much easier in finding other players then anything else.

Remove ads