D&D 5E Mike Mearls - Reddit AMA

epithet

Explorer
Do most people feel the same way? Because I always see lots of people at my local game store shopping, talking, and playing.

Besides, the first thing I do when I move to a new town is look for a game store. It's the quickest way to find like minded people.

I tried. When I got back into D&D with 5e, I went to a couple of game stores in my area, and one of them was only into wargaming while the other was only into MtG. The attitude about RPGs was basically "Yeah, whatever... what you see is what we've got." After the "game store" told me I was better off looking for D&D at the comic book shop across town, I was done. Not only is Amazon cheaper, but it more enthusiastically supports my game than the "FLGS" does.

If I'm going to pay full (inflated) price for a D&D product now, it's going to be on the Fantasy Grounds store.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
No, I said I didn't say anything about the sales. You quoted online sales to say that people don't go to stores anymore. That isn't a good indication. You dont have to buy everything from a store to support it. I just got all three 5e core rulebooks from my game store, because they were on sale, but I buy all my Pathfinder books on Pazio's website.

Now you're downright being deceptive. I didn't say that no one goes to stores. Obviously people do or they wouldn't be stores anymore. I said that most players don't. Please stop claiming I am saying things that I'm not.

Your anecdote of 'lots of people' means very little when the scope of the game is millions of players. The RPG sales market in NA has tripled since 5e was released and the PHB peaked at #1 on Amazon.

Also yes, it is entirely possible for an individual to make some of their purchases at stores and other purchases elsewhere. Though they could just make all of their purchases online.

I get that you like stores. It's perfectly fine for you to go to stores that you like and to donate to them. You just shouldn't expect other people to donate to those stores so you can keep benefiting from them.

I also wasn't meaning to imply that you don't get social interaction unless you go to the store. I was stating that that was a benefit of the store. There isn't any social interaction when buying on Amazon.

Most people don't look for social interaction from sales clerks. I get that you do. But that is not the 5e player base.

kntwriter

Villager
Now you're downright being deceptive. I didn't say that no one goes to stores. Obviously people do or they wouldn't be stores anymore. I said that most players don't. Please stop claiming I am saying things that I'm not.

Your anecdote of 'lots of people' means very little when the scope of the game is millions of players. The RPG sales market in NA has tripled since 5e was released and the PHB peaked at #1 on Amazon.

Also yes, it is entirely possible for an individual to make some of their purchases at stores and other purchases elsewhere. Though they could just make all of their purchases online.

I get that you like stores. It's perfectly fine for you to go to stores that you like and to donate to them. You just shouldn't expect other people to donate to those stores so you can keep benefiting from them.

Most people don't look for social interaction from sales clerks. I get that you do. But that is not the 5e player base.
Okay, let me start off by apologizing. It was never my intention to be deceptive, and I don't believe that I was, but I was not clear. I also want to apologize for saying you said something you didn't. That was an error on my part.

I have only been trying to say that I don't see how sales of a book online equates to, as you put it, 'most of the fan base' not liking brick and mortar stores.

The stores offer more than just a place to purchase items. Most have a designated play area. Most offer a way to interact with other players, both customers and staff. Some even offer a bulletin board for people looking for games or games looking for people.

It is for these reasons that I believe the brick and mortar stores are important to our hobby and should be supported. You don't have to buy everything from them but at the very least, a purchase now and then wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Okay, let me start off by apologizing. It was never my intention to be deceptive, and I don't believe that I was, but I was not clear. I also want to apologize for saying you said something you didn't. That was an error on my part.

Thank you.

I have only been trying to say that I don't see how sales of a book online equates to, as you put it, 'most of the fan base' not liking brick and mortar stores.

Numbers. Numbers are how we determine what is 'most' of the fan base. There is no other way to determine that.

I don't think you understand the sheer scope of 5e. NA sales of RPGs have tripled since it was released.

Brick and mortar stores cannot contain the amount of people who are now playing 5e. They were there all along through 4e, Pathfinder, 3.x, and yet just now we have an explosion of sales. It's not the physical stores.

The stores offer more than just a place to purchase items. Most have a designated play area. Most offer a way to interact with other players, both customers and staff. Some even offer a bulletin board for people looking for games or games looking for people.

I have a play area in my house. I have have friends and they have friends. We have a great time playing together. This is how the game is growing. I have no desire to play with strangers at gaming stores.

It is for these reasons that I believe the brick and mortar stores are important to our hobby and should be supported. You don't have to buy everything from them but at the very least, a purchase now and then wouldn't hurt.

Donating to stores will absolutely hurt. Maybe you aren't aware that there are people who play this game who don't have a lot of money. I would venture to say it is a lot of people as new players are likely to be young and the millennial generation is poor and in debt.

A donation to a store means buying fewer books from WotC and having fewer supplies for playing the actual game. That is hurting the game.

Sure, if you're rich, donate where you like.

Numbers. Numbers are how we determine what is 'most' of the fan base. There is no other way to determine that.
What is the percentage of D&D products sold via online purchasing compared to shops? It could be interesting to know: - particularly if there are differences along national lines.
Do the figures distinguish between 5e products sold in places like bookshops, and those in games stores?

I have a play area in my house. I have have friends and they have friends. We have a great time playing together. This is how the game is growing.
And its really cool that you and your friends are affluent enough to have houses with rooms big enough to hold your games in.
I'm fortunate to be a member of a university club that can provide a venue for some SATT games. - Although it can get annoying when everyone at the table next to you starts shouting. :rant:
I'm also fortunate to have a couple of games stores nearby where D&D is played: they regularly organise starter one-shots and help groups get together. Sometimes these beginners and groups end up playing in the store, sometimes the group moves to play elsewhere once established. This is also how the game is growing.

I have no desire to play with strangers at gaming stores.
That's OK. It sounds like you're lucky enough not not have to.
I'm pretty sure that no one here is suggesting that you be forced to.

Donating to stores will absolutely hurt. Maybe you aren't aware that there are people who play this game who don't have a lot of money. I would venture to say it is a lot of people as new players are likely to be young and the millennial generation is poor and in debt.

A donation to a store means buying fewer books from WotC and having fewer supplies for playing the actual game. That is hurting the game.

Sure, if you're rich, donate where you like.
Your point about the finances of most of the newcomers to the hobby is well-made. Buying a house or even flat with a decent-sized room can be expensive. Many find it easier to pay a couple of pounds for a game in a store every week or similar. When the choice is donating to a store or not playing the game, then buying products or hiring tables at a store becomes better for the hobby than just getting your D&D kicks through Twitch or Youtube.

Sure, if you're not a newcomer and already have a gaming space and an established group, feel free to save a few quid.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
To sum up my position:

If you have extra money that you want to spend and you want to support D&D it is better to buy more books (or other accessories from WotC) at a cheaper price. You are supporting WotC. Extra PHBs can make a table experience more smooth. They're great gifts to other players or friends. Even buying the MM and DMG for a player is a great way to support the game. They might go start their own group to their other friends, now there are more players.

This is far more effective to supporting the game than by donating money to a store. I'd rather donate that money in the form of gifts of books to my friends than to a stranger at a store.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
And its really cool that you and your friends are affluent enough to have houses with rooms big enough to hold your games in.

Really? This is where you're going?

You have no idea what my financial situation is like. Don't presume that you do.

What we're discussing here is the notion that people ought to waste money by spending a premium in stores rather than order online.

Yes, I'm wealthy enough to own some D&D books. Not everyone has that kind of budget for recreation. Overall it is a fairly inexpensive cost as it lasts a long time. I can also afford to be on the internet, again, something that not everyone has.

Even if I actually had a house, that has no actual bearing on positions here because I am not advocating for other people to waste their money. I recognize that people have different financial situations which is something other posters do not.

I am not going to get into the specifics of mine, but I will just say that financial privilege is something that I do not enjoy.

Games can also be played in small spaces. For about 10 years I lived in a single room apt. (shared washroom and kitchen). I held games there where half the players had to sit on my bed to play.

Sure, if you're not a newcomer and already have a gaming space and an established group, feel free to save a few quid.

What you're not understanding is that most newcomers are not being introduced to the game through stores.

D&D is not a small game for people who frequent hobby stores anymore.

It has exploded in popularity. The stores are not the reason.

Last edited:

kntwriter

Villager

That is what I am referring to. All the sales numbers mean is where people are buying their books, not what they like. It is possible to buy your books online yet go to a store and use their facilities. Do you have any numbers that show that these people don't like the stores?

I don't think you understand the sheer scope of 5e.

I do understand the scope. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and watched the explosion. But it is not just D&D. There are new RPGs coming out at an outstanding pace. It boggles the mind.

Brick and mortar stores cannot contain the amount of people who are now playing 5e.

I have never said that the stores can contain everyone playing nowadays. But they do provide a service. Can you go online and search for TTRPGS and read reviews? Sure. But stores allow you to look at these books side by side. To peruse the inside of the books and see what the game is about for yourself. You might even find something that you wouldn't have online.

I have a play area in my house. I have have friends and they have friends. We have a great time playing together. This is how the game is growing. I have no desire to play with strangers at gaming stores.

From this quote is it safe to assume you have lived in the same area all your life? I have had to move twice in the last few years because of my wife's job. The first place I have looked for each move is the local gaming store. This way I have been able to meet new people who also like to play. I have been able to watch a few games so that I can find a group that has a similar play style. I only know of a few people at work that play, and our schedules conflict so I am unable to play with them. Thus the gaming store has allowed me to meet those that I can play with.

Maybe you aren't aware that there are people who play this game who don't have a lot of money. I would venture to say it is a lot of people as new players are likely to be young and the millennial generation is poor and in debt.

I do know this. Some people I know don't even have bank accounts or credit cards. How are they supposed to buy books online? Sure, you could get a friend to buy them for you, but what if you don't have anyone willing to do that for you? Bookstores are having the same problem that gaming stores are facing. And have you ever seen the RPG section at a bookstore?

I don't really believe this. I have seen games where there was only one copy of the PHB shared between all at the table. If you want to play you will find a way to play.

Let's look at it this way. When you want to party with your friends, you have a couple of choices. Go to the store and buy beer or your choice of alcohol, go back to your home, put on some music, and invite your friends over. Or you and your friends can go to a nightclub. Pay a cover fee and pay a higher price for your alcohol. Not everyone that goes to a club and buys drinks though. Some just go to meet new people. That is what a gaming store is. A nightclub for RPGers. It's a place to go, maybe buy something, and meet others that share your interests. Buying something from a gaming store is not hurting the game. But when the local gaming store closes it could have an impact on the amount of gaming in the area.

I do know this. Some people I know don't even have bank accounts or credit cards. How are they supposed to buy books online? Sure, you could get a friend to buy them for you, but what if you don't have anyone willing to do that for you? Bookstores are having the same problem that gaming stores are facing. And have you ever seen the RPG section at a bookstore?

I'm going to call BS on this argument. Though I life in what most would consider 3rd world country, everyone I meet here has a bank account and credit cards, even 70 year old farmers living in the isolated mountains of Adjara, as well as most high school students. The only thing stop someone from getting a bank account or credit card is stubbornness, idealism, or pure laziness.

I don't really believe this. I have seen games where there was only one copy of the PHB shared between all at the table. If you want to play you will find a way to play.

Wait there are groups who play with more than one PHB? Wow. That's something I've never seen, honestly. In high school, I played with a group of 11, in which only one of us had a PHB and MM. No one had a DMG. Same thing in my university group.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I'm going to call BS on this argument. Though I life in what most would consider 3rd world country, everyone I meet here has a bank account and credit cards, even 70 year old farmers living in the isolated mountains of Adjara, as well as most high school students. The only thing stop someone from getting a bank account or credit card is stubbornness, idealism, or pure laziness.

Wait there are groups who play with more than one PHB? Wow. That's something I've never seen, honestly. In high school, I played with a group of 11, in which only one of us had a PHB and MM. No one had a DMG. Same thing in my university group.

Every player at my table has her own pH book, even the taco Bell worker and the McDonald's employee.

Remove ads