D&D 5E New to D&D 5E

Vathraq

First Post
I just joined a D&D 5E group. My first time playing in 2 1/2 year. I do not have the source books, so I am using an character builder. The party has a soul sorcerer, a paladin, a druid/monk, a fighter, and a fiend warlock. Essentially, Off heal/off tank, off heal/tank, Melee DPS/ Support, Tank, Range DPS (mixed AoE/single target).

I guess utility/control is what I am looking to play. Control/buff/debuff
We have lots of DPS and off heal. Small amount of utility but not much in the way of control other than just DPS things down.

Everyone else in the game except the DM hates bards. They didn't ask me not to play one. Just told me how much they hate them. A reason why I was not looking at it as an option. Its my first character in 5E. So, obviously I have no idea what I am doing. Lol

The character concept is totally up in the air. Any recommendations aprreciated as right now I have choice paralysis so there has been no movement on the character. Just me looking through tons of articles.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Wizard has the most utility, along with buffs and control. Divination if you don't know what else to take. Gnome is a good default race. Take the sage background and your set. You're off to see the world and get more spells.

Just keep in mind you can only concentrate on one buff or debuff spell at a time, with a few exceptions like blind/deafness. So don't load up on just those spells, take a bit of variety.

Vathraq

First Post
I found Treantmonks guide. I do have to say it was helpful, but I have a hard time deciding if I want to multiclass or not. The cleric1/wizardx multiclass sounds intriguing as does an straight up wizard.

My initial thought was an High Elf or Half Elf from Evermeet. Having issues being in an elven society. Half Elf, because he is an Half Elf. High Elf because black hair and slightly darker complexion hints of a Drow lineage somewhere in his past. Being less confrontational he uses his "influence" to ease his path through life due to these circumstances.

I would fill out more detail depending on how the build ends up.

Turns out I will be using Hero Lab. Now if I can just figure out how to optimize this within the confines of the back story. My brain hurts. LOL

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Vathraq

First Post
Anyway. Just a quick 1st level build of the cleric. I am sure this can be optimized better, but I have no idea where.

Gredgid CyneWolf
Half-elf Cleric 1
Medium humanoid, chaotic good
--------------------
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 10 (1d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.
--------------------
STR 10 (+0), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 16 (+3), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 10 (+0)
--------------------
Saving Throws Wis +3, Cha +2
Skills Arcana +7, History +7, Insight +3, Medicine +3, Perception +3, Religion +5, Stealth +4, Survival +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Giant, Gnomish, Halfling

Actions
--------------------

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Equipment 100 gp

Edit: Sorry did not realize the Stat block output for Hero Lab does not include things like backgrounds and spells.

Diety: Corellon Larethian
Background: Far Traveler. I picked flute as place holder but the DM he will allow me to use any of the trained tools.
Cantrips: Guidance, Resistance, Thaumaturgy
Spells: Bless, Command, Identify, Purify Food and Drink

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Given you have several people to hide behind, and plenty of healing, there's no big push to go cleric. It depends on if you want to be tougher, or have your higher level spells sooner.

Also, you need 13 Wis and 13 Int to multi-class cleric/wizard.

Vathraq

First Post
Well here is what I came up with for my utility wizard. Any optimization stuff you guys can see that can be done?

Gredgid CyneWolf
Male Half-Elf Wizard 2
Medium humanoid, chaotic good
--------------------
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 14 (2d6+4)
Speed 30 ft.
--------------------
STR 10 (+0), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 16 (+3), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 10 (+0)
--------------------
Saving Throws Int +5, Wis +3
Skills Arcana +5, History +5, Insight +3, Perception +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Gnomish, Halfling

Actions
--------------------

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 150 ft./600 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+2 piercing damage.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 slashing damage or 1d10 slashing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.

Unarmed Strike. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature.
Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Equipment Dagger, Longbow, Longsword, arrows (20), backpack, bedroll, clothes, traveler's, component pouch, mess kit, quiver, rations (10), rope, hempen (50 feet), spellbook, tinderbox, torch (10), waterskin

Spells
---------------------
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation
1st Level: Alarm, Find Familiar, Fog Cloud, Grease, Mage Armor, Shield, Sleep, Thunderwave

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
System Reference Document 5.1 Copyright 2016, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Vathraq

First Post
Well, we lost the Warlock. So, any advice on optimizing this character for this party?

The party has a soul sorcerer, a paladin, a druid/monk, and a fighter. Essentially, Off heal/off tank, off heal/tank, Melee DPS/ Support, Tank.

mellored

Legend
Well, we lost the Warlock. So, any advice on optimizing this character for this party?

The party has a soul sorcerer, a paladin, a druid/monk, and a fighter. Essentially, Off heal/off tank, off heal/tank, Melee DPS/ Support, Tank.
There's no major holes, and possibly an excessive amount of healing. So i'd say skills and ranged damage.

I'd suggest wood elf scout rogue. 15+2 Dex, 14 Con, 13+1 Wis.
Taking elven accuracy at level 4 to get 18 Dex. Up to 20 Dex at level 8.
Expertise in stealth, perecption, and whatever other skills people don't have.

Mostly use your bonus action to hide then make a longbow to attack with (tripple) advantage, but don't forget to carry a melee weapon to switch if needed.

Vathraq

First Post
I will take a look at they when my Wizard dies, because there has been no healing to him yet. Its just a matter of time. I guess they feel like I should be throwing fireballs instead of shooting arrows, throwing up illusions, causing targets to fall down, etc.

Anyway, suggestions on optimizing the Wizard?

Remove ads