What is *worldbuilding* for?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In a player-facing game, no one (including the GM) will know whether the result is a #2 or 3. If the players fail to find a door, a later result can generate one anyway to fulfil a new consequence in a plausible way.
Well, yes they will know; as in theory you can't fail on a high roll even though you should be able to if there isn't a door there to find.

As opposed to...

Player: "I poke in front of me with a 10' pole as I walk down the 30' long passage."

DM: (after a failed roll):"Okay, after 10' of walking you feel that the floor in front of you - half way down the passage - gives under your pole. It seems to be a trapdoor of some sort."

While that may not be the exact dialogue used in Story Now, the goal is the same. The player is still declaring actions for the PC for the purpose of getting the DM to relate some content of fiction that the DM makes up. The difference is that you improvise the content.

There is one big difference. That is what the rules of composition for the narrated fiction are. In a pre-authored adventure or as part of 'world building' (however that argument comes out) the fiction is part of a whole scenario which has, as its ends, something the GM thought of. In fact we can't really even say for sure, but its an 'agenda' set by the GM. Maybe, often, its calculated to appeal to the players. OTOH the fiction composed by the Story Now GM is DEFINITELY composed in respect of, and only in respect of, the elements of characterization and thematic interest generated by the players.

This is a profound difference. It is the ONLY true and universal difference. I still argue that other things stem from that, but we've already had those discussions.

Okay, so the GM is telling a story, but it's different because it's based on player cues and is unaffected by the GM's conception of the world? So the GM doesn't consider what has already been established during the game ie; NPCs, Factions, PC backstory, etc. not to mention unspoken assumptions ie; gravity, when setting that scene? If they do then it is actually; The GM is framing a scene based on player cues and the GM's conception of the world (albeit the GM's conception of the world is subject to limitations). Which is also what happens in most games, without the limitations on the GM's conception of the world obviously, or at least those specific limitations.
OK, but remember, ALL THAT CAME BEFORE, thus all the 'NPCs, Factions, PC backstory, etc' was all invented in service to the story that the players want to engage in! So the GM is perfectly free to operate within the realm of 'story logic' and that doesn't constrain his ability to give the players what they want. In fact it is NECESSARY to giving them what they want, which is the type of entertainment they have asked for.

Now, the GM is going to have conceptions and ideas and whatnot, and that's going to play a strong part too. Obviously [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] are going to frame different scenes, even if they somehow found themselves GMing the same situation.

It's not about the GM "telling stories" or not, it isn't about the whether some actions are impossible or not, not even about whether or not those stories or actions are affected by previously determined aspects of "the world", it's just about where they come from. For some players that is important. Like I mentioned earlier for some seeking "that feeling" (that they have access to a "real" world) it helps if it seems like the world is fully fleshed out somewhere and reacting to their PCs accordingly, and it hinders that feeling if they think it isn't, or it seems like things are being plopped down in front of them, or things are being determined randomly, or other players (not through their PCs) are effecting the world. It would seem that for some other mixes are ideal, some might prefer a highly detailed published setting, because they can read it for themselves. Some might prefer a lack of GM created stuff in the world, or rather, limitations imposed on it because what counts as GM created could just as easily be seen as "whatever the GM chooses" because after all even just picking things to match what the PCs are interested in is the GM "creating" something.

Sure, I think its not even controversial to say that the input of the GM is PRIMARY. He's framing every scene and deciding when to say yes and when to ask for a check (there could be other things, I'm using a Story Now rendition of 4e as an example). I don't think Story Now or No Myth is intended to remove or even reduce the influence of the GM. It is ONLY about who's story it is, and what the main content of it relates to.

happyhermit

Adventurer
OK, but remember, ALL THAT CAME BEFORE, thus all the 'NPCs, Factions, PC backstory, etc' was all invented in service to the story that the players want to engage in! So the GM is perfectly free to operate within the realm of 'story logic' and that doesn't constrain his ability to give the players what they want. In fact it is NECESSARY to giving them what they want, which is the type of entertainment they have asked for.

Now, the GM is going to have conceptions and ideas and whatnot, and that's going to play a strong part too. Obviously @AbdulAlhazred and @pemerton are going to frame different scenes, even if they somehow found themselves GMing the same situation.

I could quibble with some details here but we pretty much agree. The main point is that "stories" as pemerton put it, are being told by the GM in either case, not only in the GM-worldbuilding situation. The stories can be different (they don't need to be) but the real difference is the limitations on the way they are generated, not whether one game has GM's telling them or not.

Sure, I think its not even controversial to say that the input of the GM is PRIMARY. He's framing every scene and deciding when to say yes and when to ask for a check (there could be other things, I'm using a Story Now rendition of 4e as an example). I don't think Story Now or No Myth is intended to remove or even reduce the influence of the GM. It is ONLY about who's story it is, and what the main content of it relates to.

I would think not, but pemerton has written things that indicates they are at odds with this and the idea that the GM is telling stories mediated by several factors in both types of games. Then again, it isn't always clear what they are arguing. It seemed like they were arguing that using "kickers" in a game with any GM worldbuilding was impossible for instance, at one point, still not sure.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I even posted a definition to this effect upthread of your post. Did you read it, do you disagree with it, or are you just "dishonestly" ignoring it?!
You mean your definition of what constitutes a railroad? Yep, I read it; and I disagree with it.

Now to pull back a bit - Lanefan and Maxperson clearly think I run a game that is degenerate in some sense. That's fine - it's their prerogative to dislimke someone else's creative endeavour. My response is to respond to their posts and further explain whatever techniques I thinik they are misunderstanding or misdescribing.
And to your credit, you have, at great length.

I don't agree with a lot of what you post but I commend you for the effort you put in to posting it.

It's clear that those two posters, and probably some others, think that a game in which a player is free to declare "I search for a secret door" is not a railroad, even if the GM has already decided there is no secret door to be found, because the player got to choose what action to declare. My view is that it is a railroad, because the outcome of the choice has already been determined by the GM, and - assuming (as I am) that there is something actually at stake in the situation (such as avoiding capture by pursuers) - the range of options available to the players in responding to the situatoin has been narrowed by an unrvealed element of the GM's framing.
And this is where your definition of "railroad" differs from the usual norm, I think.

(If the game was a puzzle-solving game, where the whole idea is to guess the GM's unrevealed secrets, then things would be different. Railroading doesn't really have application in that context, I don't think.
Oh yes it does, believe me; but in the more usual lead-'em-by-the-nose sense rather than your particular definition. :)

As best I can tell, this puzzle-solving element is a bigger thing in [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s game than [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]s's.)
If by "puzzle-solving" you mean mysteries and unrevealed plots the individual bits of which can take a long time to piece together, then yes; those are a big feature in my games on those occasions when I can pull them off. But even then my plots can't hold a candle to that chart from your OA game you posted a few days ago.

This is not a disagreement over the definition of railroad.
Well, it has kind of become just this disagreement.
It's a disagreement over what should be the meaningful dimensions of player choice in RPGing.
And it's this too. Railroading really wouldn't enter much into the topic at all were it not for your redefinition of the word to include pre-authored setting content influencing action resolution.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
... OTOH the fiction composed by the Story Now GM is DEFINITELY composed in respect of, and only in respect of, the elements of characterization and thematic interest generated by the players.
The problem is, when you put it this starkly it reads as if the DM is not allowed to insert anything of thematic interest to herself, and has to bury or deny any interests she might have.

But then you say this in the next post:
Now, the GM is going to have conceptions and ideas and whatnot, and that's going to play a strong part too. ...

So the DM can have influence on the players' stories but not insert any story of her own? Hardly what I'd call recruitment-poster material for attracting new DMs. :)

Lanefan

Nagol

Unimportant
Well, yes they will know; as in theory you can't fail on a high roll even though you should be able to if there isn't a door there to find.

A simple way to think about player-facing games is reverse causation. Rather than the GM extrapolating plausible consequence for player action, the GM adjusts the starting circumstance to support the determined outcome and uses that combination to drop the players into a new soup.

If a player is looking for a secret door and rolls well enough, they will find one and thus establish that such a door exists and change the circumstances so they are using it. If they don't roll well enough, they may* not find one and thus have to deal with their current circumstance without such an asset. Neither the players nor the GM know the future path for the group and it is still possible** that the group's situation will remain in this locale long enough that another pressure point will develop and a new player declaration (either success or failure) will lead to the discovery of a secret door.

* The player could still find a secret door at the GM's whim with a low roll, but the value of the door in the current situation will be negative.
** Possible, but somewhat unlikely. It tends to signal a dearth of creativity on the part of the GM and/or group.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Three intial things.

First, it's neither my job nor my place to draw inferences from general propositions to individual posters' games. Even if I could (and few posters in this thread have posted many actual play examples), that's really up to them.

Second, railroading is a relational property - of a game to its participants. If I was to play in [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s game, I suspect I would find it railroad-y. But I don't. Presumably his players emjoy it, and don't find it railroad-y.

I even posted a definition to this effect upthread of your post. Did you read it, do you disagree with it, or are you just "dishonestly" ignoring it?!

Third, there is the use of guilty. Running games I wouldn't emjoy is not a crime.

Now to pull back a bit - Lanefan and Maxperson clearly think I run a game that is degenerate in some sense. That's fine - it's their prerogative to dislimke someone else's creative endeavour. My response is to respond to their posts and further explain whatever techniques I thinik they are misunderstanding or misdescribing.

It's clear that those two posters, and probably some others, think that a game in which a player is free to declare "I search for a secret door" is not a railroad, even if the GM has already decided there is no secret door to be found, because the player got to choose what action to declare. My view is that it is a railroad, because the outcome of the choice has already been determined by the GM, and - assuming (as I am) that there is something actually at stake in the situation (such as avoiding capture by pursuers) - the range of options available to the players in responding to the situatoin has been narrowed by an unrvealed element of the GM's framing.

(If the game was a puzzle-solving game, where the whole idea is to guess the GM's unrevealed secrets, then things would be different. Railroading doesn't really have application in that context, I don't think. As best I can tell, this puzzle-solving element is a bigger thing in [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s game than [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]s's.)

This is not a disagreement over the definition of railroad. It's a disagreement over what should be the meaningful dimensions of player choice in RPGing. But "should" here is obviously not a universal moral judgement. We're discussing hobby gaming, not the fate of humanity. It's a type of aesthetic should. but also connected to the enjoyment of RPGing. I take that to be sufficient to show that it is relational in the way I described above.
What a profound defense of the use of stereotypes because it's taking about generalities and not specific people.

Tony Vargas

Legend
(If the game was a puzzle-solving game, where the whole idea is to guess the GM's unrevealed secrets, then things would be different. Railroading doesn't really have application in that context, I don't think. As best I can tell, this puzzle-solving element is a bigger thing in Lanefan's game than Maxpersons's.)
D&D may have been originally conceived as a wargame, but it seems like 'puzzle-solving game' was the overt primary thrust as early as the Greyhawk supplement, and stayed that way, 2e protestations of storytelling and setting-first notwithstanding, throughout TSRs reign. That's become fixed in a lotta mind-sets.

Remove ads