D&D 5E Multiclass Barbarian or not?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Then I would MC to fighter. And I wouldn't likely look back. See, after initial creation, I make most of my choices based upon what's developing within the story. Not math, not a "build', not min/maxing. Not "Ooh, if I switch to ___ I'll get xyz - vs staying a ____ & only gaining B". Story. Even if the choice is anything but optimal.
The only problem with that is concepts that are scattered across different classes, so you have to try and RP a character without half his "core" abilities.

I am playing a half orc Barbarian. Currently 8th level and I cannot decide whether or not to multiclass to Fighter when I get to 9th. The post-8th level class features for Barbarians seem not that interesting until very high level. I could take the next three levels of Fighter and get all kinds of interesting things and perhaps even stick with it til 12th to get three attacks and more ASIs. What do people think?

It fits for multiple reasons from a rp'ing point of view as well.

Looking things over, I'd take Fighter the rest of the way, ending at Barbarian 8 / Fighter 12. Certainly if you're taking Fighter any significant ways, you have to get to level 11 for the second tier of Extra Attack. Most significant gains are in the 7-11 level range.

You lose out on the +1 rage damage from 9th level Barbarian, as well as the critical hit die, but Fighter 12 gets its 4th ASI/feat. The ASI is unlikely to compete with the extra damage (assuming you've already gotten to 20 Str, and possibly 20 Con, by then), but the feat very well could, or at least provide utility that outweighs that. (If you're not using feats in your game, you may be better off getting the extra rage/crit damage.)

Battle Master and Cavalier both seem like they'd mesh well with the Barbarian heritage.

The main losses of not taking Barbarian all the way is that your proficiency bonus caps at +4 (so your to-hit and skill checks will always be 2 points short of what they 'could' be), the bonus critical damage dice (up to 3), the increased number of rages (up to unlimited at 20th, but 6 at 19, compared to 4 at 8), that your rages don't end, and the uncapped Str/Con (where both could potentially hit 24).

As far as rages are concerned, the main benefit is the damage resistance you gain from the Bear totem. With only 4 rages per day, and the potential of losing the rage early in some circumstances, you'll have to be a bit tactical with its usage. But with the benefits you can gain from Fighter, I really don't see it as any great loss.

If it makes sense for the character to switch classes at this point, go ahead and do so, and don't look back. This isn't a bad point in time to make that change.

Looking things over, I'd take Fighter the rest of the way, ending at Barbarian 8 / Fighter 12. Certainly if you're taking Fighter any significant ways, you have to get to level 11 for the second tier of Extra Attack. Most significant gains are in the 7-11 level range.

You lose out on the +1 rage damage from 9th level Barbarian, as well as the critical hit die, but Fighter 12 gets its 4th ASI/feat. The ASI is unlikely to compete with the extra damage (assuming you've already gotten to 20 Str, and possibly 20 Con, by then), but the feat very well could, or at least provide utility that outweighs that. (If you're not using feats in your game, you may be better off getting the extra rage/crit damage.)

Battle Master and Cavalier both seem like they'd mesh well with the Barbarian heritage.

The main losses of not taking Barbarian all the way is that your proficiency bonus caps at +4 (so your to-hit and skill checks will always be 2 points short of what they 'could' be), the bonus critical damage dice (up to 3), the increased number of rages (up to unlimited at 20th, but 6 at 19, compared to 4 at 8), that your rages don't end, and the uncapped Str/Con (where both could potentially hit 24).

As far as rages are concerned, the main benefit is the damage resistance you gain from the Bear totem. With only 4 rages per day, and the potential of losing the rage early in some circumstances, you'll have to be a bit tactical with its usage. But with the benefits you can gain from Fighter, I really don't see it as any great loss.

If it makes sense for the character to switch classes at this point, go ahead and do so, and don't look back. This isn't a bad point in time to make that change.

Thanks. Your analysis matches main and themote I think about it the more I think it is the right point from an RP perspective.

One point though, I thought proficiency was based on character level not class level.

Thanks. Your analysis matches main and themote I think about it the more I think it is the right point from an RP perspective.

One point though, I thought proficiency was based on character level not class level.

My mistake. I checked the multiclassing rules, and you're correct; you get the proficiency bonus of your total character level, not the individual class level.

Remove ads