READY PLAYER ONE - Come With Me

Having seen it last night in 3D (not really worth imo) I liked it, and understand why some of the changes happened between book and movie. The Tomb of Horrors section from the book would have screamed make a movie out of me imo.

delericho

Legend
It's okay. The biggest problem, though, is that it trades hard on nostalgia for other, better, Spielberg movies.

Maybe watch some of those instead?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's okay. The biggest problem, though, is that it trades hard on nostalgia for other, better, Spielberg movies.

Maybe watch some of those instead?

There are very few Spielberg movies referenced in it. He refused to include his own stuff, although he allowed the DeLorean as he only exec-produced that one. The special effects guys kept trying to sneeck references to Spielberg movies into the backgrounds, and he kept telling them to remove them.

delericho

Legend
There are very few Spielberg movies referenced in it. He refused to include his own stuff, although he allowed the DeLorean as he only exec-produced that one. The special effects guys kept trying to sneeck references to Spielberg movies into the backgrounds, and he kept telling them to remove them.

There was the T-Rex, and I'm sure I saw a "War of the Worlds" Martian ship in there. And the Macguffin hunt was very Indiana Jones, especially with the three riddles of fiendish cunning - notably the middle one.

More importantly, it felt very much like Spielberg in 80's mode. Deliberately so.

Ryujin

Legend
I was pretty sure that I saw Ultraman fighting in the background, in one of the trailers, but not in the movie. Now I can't find him in the trailers, so I'm starting to think that I dreamt it.

I was pretty sure that I saw Ultraman fighting in the background, in one of the trailers, but not in the movie. Now I can't find him in the trailers, so I'm starting to think that I dreamt it.

yeah you did..they couldn't go with Ultraman due to on going legal issues between BlueArc and UMC and Tsuburaya. Ernest Cline was okay with the change to the Iron Giant since he'as also a fan of it. Also Ernest wrote the screen play,so I'm guessing he made the change from D&D to the race.

Remove ads