D&D 5E Iconic characters in 5e books?

Li Shenron

Legend
Are there actually any iconic characters in 5e books? I don't mean references to setting-specific NPCs such as Drizz't or Volo, but rather like in 3e when we had Mialee the Wizard, Lidda the Rogue, Tordek the Fighter etc. I guess not, but I wonder if for example the characters in the illustrations used for the PHB classes ever got a name at some point.

Yaarel

He Mage
I was never a fan of class icons, because they create to specific an image, even going so far as to gender the perception of the class. It annoyed me that the fighter was presented male, and the wizard female. This even extended to gendering the pronouns of the descriptions of a class. Likewise it would annoy me if the warlock is always a tiefling, and so on.

I strongly prefer each class have a variety of examples of how the class can play out. I want to see a clean-shaven jock Wizard, and so on.

I don't think that 5e is having iconic characters at all. Rather, they are going for several different examples of each class.

Having said that, I think that XGtE actually has some of the Introductory flavour texts written by some of the 3e iconics.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I was never a fan of class icons, because they create to specific an image, even going so far as to gender the perception of the class. It annoyed me that the fighter was presented male, and the wizard female. This even extended to gendering the pronouns of the descriptions of a class. Likewise it would annoy me if the warlock is always a tiefling, and so on.

I strongly prefer each class have a variety of examples of how the class can play out. I want to see a clean-shaven jock Wizard, and so on.

I'm fine with class stereotypes, male fighter/female wizard don't bother me. Stereotypes exist because they are true, and men are generally stronger than women. Don't argue with me on this, because I am right. I will point to sports and athletic records in history to prove my point. Same goes for Tiefling Warlocks and the like. Some call it a stereotype, I call it classic. They already got rid of the gender stat differences from previous editions, so I call that a win.

We don't need more Zarya-like characters to please the SJWs.

S

Sunseeker

This, and some of the imagery that has been used in specific for certain "iconics" has been rather distasteful.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I thought the 3e iconics were cool, it never coloured my perceptions of the classes at all. I still made barbarians, fighters, and clerics who were women and wizards, paladins and rogues who were men.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm fine with class stereotypes, male fighter/female wizard don't bother me. Stereotypes exist because they are true, and men are generally stronger than women. Don't argue with me on this, because I am right. I will point to sports and athletic records in history to prove my point. Same goes for Tiefling Warlocks and the like. Some call it a stereotype, I call it classic. They already got rid of the gender stat differences from previous editions, so I call that a win.

We don't need more Zarya-like characters to please the SJWs.

Please read the site rules, and refrain from using insulting terms like "SJWs". Don't post in this thread again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases