D&D 5E Iconic characters in 5e books?

houser2112

Explorer
Aren't they from Pathfinder, not D&D?

Seoni is the Pathfinder iconic sorcerer. "Belt-sorcerer" I believe he is talking about the 3E iconic sorcerer, Hennet:
3e%2Bsorcerer.jpg

S

Sunseeker

Seoni is the Pathfinder iconic sorcerer. "Belt-sorcerer" I believe he is talking about the 3E iconic sorcerer, Hennet:
*img*.

Yeah, that's the guy. And D&D's "iconics" never felt iconic like Pathfinder, but the reference was necessary to illustrate that while I don't really care how people play dressup in their own games, stripper-sorceresses really are tasteless and demonstrate my biggest objection to iconics. That objection being that when you ask me about "iconics" the first thing that comes to mind is the stripper-sorceress Seoni.

So sure, sex sells, and bad publicity is still publicity, but it's certainly not an association that inspires me to purchase Pathfinder products. And yeah, they have other, better, more tasteful iconics...but those came later.

Yaarel

He Mage
There is room for goodlooking characters, both men and women.

The problem is, the ‘icon’ is too specific. Suddenly the Sorcerer is the ‘sexy’ class, and what, the wizard is the ugly class?

Sometimes the wizard is the sexy one.

I guess sex appeal tends to correlate with Charisma, and I like this. The artistic beauty of Charisma can accentuate image, including sex appeal. Sexy bards are fine too.

But sometimes the wizard or the cleric mechanically benefits from high Charisma, and narratively is sexy.

The rules need to invite players to make their characters their own. For me, icons get in the way.

Remove ads