List of monsters confirmed in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Remathilis

Legend
They have already said the are reprinting all the demon lords from OotA

Yup, I was counting them. I was wondering what else from the APs are going in. Looking at the list of non-NPC monsters not already in the MM or Volo, I see

HotDR/RoT: Ice Toad, Ice Troll, Scrag
EE: Elemental Myrmidons
OOtA: Derro (sevant), Steeders (m/f), Ixitachitl (vamp), Duergar variants
CoS: Broom of Animated Attack, Mongrelfolk, Phantom Warrior, Tree Blight, Strahd Zombie, Wereraven
SKT: Crag Cat, Hulking Crab, Purple Worming, Tressym, Yakfolk
TotYP: Animated Table, Choker, Deathlock Wright, Dread Warrior, Duergar Spy, Giant Crayfish, Giant Ice Toad, Giant Lightning Eel, Giant Skeleton, Giant Subterrainean Lizard, Greater Zombie, Kelpie, Neried, Sea Lion, Siren, Thorn Slinger, Vampiric Mist
ToA: Albino Dwarf, Aldani, Almiraj, Assassin Vine, Atropal, Chwinga, Eblis, Flying Monkey, Giant Snapping Turtle, Giant Strider, Jaculi, Kamadan, Mantrap, Pterafolk, Stone Juggernaut, Su-Monster, Tabaxi, Thorny, Tri-Flower Frond, Yellow Musk Creeper Zorbo

...and I'm sure I missed some.

Not sure all of those are going to make it in, but I'd love to see as many as possible reprinted in some updated MM tome like this so I don't need to buy PotA just to have elemental Myrmidon stats.

gyor

Legend
Yup, I was counting them. I was wondering what else from the APs are going in. Looking at the list of non-NPC monsters not already in the MM or Volo, I see

HotDR/RoT: Ice Toad, Ice Troll, Scrag
EE: Elemental Myrmidons
OOtA: Derro (sevant), Steeders (m/f), Ixitachitl (vamp), Duergar variants
CoS: Broom of Animated Attack, Mongrelfolk, Phantom Warrior, Tree Blight, Strahd Zombie, Wereraven
SKT: Crag Cat, Hulking Crab, Purple Worming, Tressym, Yakfolk
TotYP: Animated Table, Choker, Deathlock Wright, Dread Warrior, Duergar Spy, Giant Crayfish, Giant Ice Toad, Giant Lightning Eel, Giant Skeleton, Giant Subterrainean Lizard, Greater Zombie, Kelpie, Neried, Sea Lion, Siren, Thorn Slinger, Vampiric Mist
ToA: Albino Dwarf, Aldani, Almiraj, Assassin Vine, Atropal, Chwinga, Eblis, Flying Monkey, Giant Snapping Turtle, Giant Strider, Jaculi, Kamadan, Mantrap, Pterafolk, Stone Juggernaut, Su-Monster, Tabaxi, Thorny, Tri-Flower Frond, Yellow Musk Creeper Zorbo

...and I'm sure I missed some.

Not sure all of those are going to make it in, but I'd love to see as many as possible reprinted in some updated MM tome like this so I don't need to buy PotA just to have elemental Myrmidon stats.

Mtrmidon is confirmed to be in.

Sigh... and we're back to pre-4e's rules of anything Fey related getting the shaft. I'm surprised they didn't just rip the damn Feywild out of the PHB.

Oh, it's not that bad - celestials have had it worse this edition compared to fey. Currently there have only been 9 celestial stat blocks printed in total for all books so far for the edition, compared to 19 for fey creatures. And we know that MToF will give us some good stuff for fey on the eladrin front at least. As for archfey, well, outside of the Princes of Elemental Evil, some Demon Princes, and (in MToF) some Archdevils, we really haven't detailed much in the way of named paragons for this edition yet. Now, if we had the General of Gehenna, Primus, the slaad lords, the Celestial Hebdomad, and the guardianal paragons already detailed and we were still lacking the archfey, that would be reason to complain. But right now the archfey are in a very crowded waiting room along with a huge number of other paragons...

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
(Side track: but those looking for fey, I know they are not official, but there was a recent fey 5E Kickstarter that looked great & Tome of Beasts 5E (Kobold Press) has a heap of fey, inc archfey, in it and well worth it). I mean how often do you encounter them anyway, but they are there :)

It's interesting how fae have become far more popular since the early days of D&D (it seems to start around 3.5). I tend to think of it as pre-Tolkienism.

My interpretation of the comment is that fae are being deliberately held back from MTOF because they are going to get their own book.

QuietBrowser

First Post
It's interesting how fae have become far more popular since the early days of D&D (it seems to start around 3.5). I tend to think of it as pre-Tolkienism.

My interpretation of the comment is that fae are being deliberately held back from MTOF because they are going to get their own book.

Technically, fey have been a large part of the game since the beginning - I think "Creature Crucible: Tall Tales of the Wee Folk", which introduced a huge array of playable fey races for Basic D&D ranging from sprites and pixies to leprechauns, pookas, centaurs and treants, was the first ever "racial supplement". The problem is that, prior to 4e giving us the Feywild, they were always a very haphazard race, with no clear position in the cosmology - the most iconic "Fairyland" name, Arcadia, was given to the plane that straddles the Neutral Good and Chaotic Good divide, whilst aspects of Fairyland can be seen in both Arvandor (Chaotic Good) and in Ysgard (Chaotic Good-Neutral).

Once we had the Feywild, though, fey had a clear place and position in the world, so they fitted the game better, which naturally made people pay more attention to them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I think it is very notable what isn't in the book, at least in significant numbers:

Fey
Celestials
Genie
Dragons

More than enough material for multiple future books...

gyor

Legend
Oh, it's not that bad - celestials have had it worse this edition compared to fey. Currently there have only been 9 celestial stat blocks printed in total for all books so far for the edition, compared to 19 for fey creatures. And we know that MToF will give us some good stuff for fey on the eladrin front at least. As for archfey, well, outside of the Princes of Elemental Evil, some Demon Princes, and (in MToF) some Archdevils, we really haven't detailed much in the way of named paragons for this edition yet. Now, if we had the General of Gehenna, Primus, the slaad lords, the Celestial Hebdomad, and the guardianal paragons already detailed and we were still lacking the archfey, that would be reason to complain. But right now the archfey are in a very crowded waiting room along with a huge number of other paragons...

I count 8 celestial stat blocks.

1 Devas
2 Planatar
3 Solar
4 Pegasus
5 Unicorn
6 Couatl
7 Empyrean
8 Kirin.

What is the ninth one?

Remove ads