• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About the War Cleric......

CTurbo

Explorer
I just read over the thread "Best War Cleric" and it had me thinking, but that thread was an older thread that recently got necro'd so I figured I would just make a new thread about it.

It seems that the War Cleric is generally regarded as lacking when compared to some of the other "melee" focused Clerics, or maybe it's just lacking in melee in general.

So is there a way that it could be "fixed" or at least a way to make it better without overdoing it?

Does it even need to be fixed? I know some people are fine with it the way it is, but I've seen so many more people complaining about it, and from what I've seen in gameplay, they end up just relying on spells in the mid to higher levels anyway.

For starters, I think that maybe War should have been the only domain that should have gotten full weapons and armor proficiency. Well, I can see letting Life have full armor proficiency but that's it. Just those two. That would have helped things a bit I think.

I do like the idea of a Cleric of war.

I think the most obvious fix would be to simply give the domain a 2nd attack even if it's at a higher level than 5 or 6. Maybe level 11? At some point, it really needs a full second attack, and that is with keeping the Wis mod bonus attack the same. Some say that this is a little too OP, and maybe it is.

Another think I came up with is to allow the War domain to use it's Divine Strike on the bonus attack too. That would really up the melee damage.

Another idea would be to have some kind of feature that allows for a reaction attack similar to the Sentinel feat, which is so good on a Cleric.

What does everybody think?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I just read over the thread "Best War Cleric" and it had me thinking, but that thread was an older thread that recently got necro'd so I figured I would just make a new thread about it.

It seems that the War Cleric is generally regarded as lacking when compared to some of the other "melee" focused Clerics, or maybe it's just lacking in melee in general.

So is there a way that it could be "fixed" or at least a way to make it better without overdoing it?

Does it even need to be fixed? I know some people are fine with it the way it is, but I've seen so many more people complaining about it, and from what I've seen in gameplay, they end up just relying on spells in the mid to higher levels anyway.

For starters, I think that maybe War should have been the only domain that should have gotten full weapons and armor proficiency. Well, I can see letting Life have full armor proficiency but that's it. Just those two. That would have helped things a bit I think.

I think the most obvious fix would be to simply give the domain a 2nd attack even if it's at a higher level than 5 or 6. Maybe level 11? At some point, it really needs a full second attack, and that is with keeping the Wis mod bonus attack the same. Some say that this is a little too OP, and maybe it is.

Another think I came up with is to allow the War domain to use it's Divine Strike on the bonus attack too. That would really up the melee damage.

Another idea would be to have some kind of feature that allows for a reaction attack similar to the Sentinel feat, which is so good on a Cleric.

Maybe change his channel channel divinity to be a buff like the blade singer wizards that makes the cleric "good" at melee?

Honestly though, he feels fine early. and mid game with a few tricks. none of his early abilities do much late game imo.

Nevvur

Explorer
I agree that War domain is kinda lacking. A reaction attack like Sentinel would probably do the trick for me. Extra Attack, even at higher levels, still seems like a bit much.

They're a full caster, and I expect them to spend most of their actions casting, but this gives them a chance to swing their weapons around a little more.

CapnZapp

Legend

I think you need to let go of the notion of a melee Cleric.

The notion of a class fighting like a fighter and casting like a caster is too good.

And if it can't fight like a fighter, it's much better off casting like a caster.

In that way any melee offensive is wasted.

Consider the tempest Cleric. It's excellent even though it basically never fights with its weapon. This is because as a caster you don't need any martial offensive; what you appreciate is the martial defense (the armor, the rebuke abilities, etc)

CTurbo

Explorer
I think you need to let go of the notion of a melee Cleric.

The notion of a class fighting like a fighter and casting like a caster is too good.

And if it can't fight like a fighter, it's much better off casting like a caster.

In that way any melee offensive is wasted.

Consider the tempest Cleric. It's excellent even though it basically never fights with its weapon. This is because as a caster you don't need any martial offensive; what you appreciate is the martial defense (the armor, the rebuke abilities, etc)

I know the Cleric class is never going to be on par with the Fighter or Paladin in melee nor is it meant to be.

My problem with the War Cleric is, it's not even the best Cleric at being a War Cleric. I LOVE the Tempest domain and yes it is a great example of a better melee Cleric.

I just feel like the War's features and mechanics could be better at what it's supposed to be. Sure the extra bonus attack is HUGE at really low levels, but it becomes quickly irrelevant. It's even sadder than a spell that EVERY Cleric gets, Spiritual Weapon out shines it for 75% of your career and often by a long shot at higher levels. Other Domains similar features stay relevant for their entire careers.

The War domain is only saved by the actual core class being so solid from top to bottom.

CapnZapp

Legend
I know the Cleric class is never going to be on par with the Fighter or Paladin in melee nor is it meant to be.

My problem with the War Cleric is, it's not even the best Cleric at being a War Cleric. I LOVE the Tempest domain and yes it is a great example of a better melee Cleric.

I just feel like the War's features and mechanics could be better at what it's supposed to be. Sure the extra bonus attack is HUGE at really low levels, but it becomes quickly irrelevant. It's even sadder than a spell that EVERY Cleric gets, Spiritual Weapon out shines it for 75% of your career and often by a long shot at higher levels. Other Domains similar features stay relevant for their entire careers.

The War domain is only saved by the actual core class being so solid from top to bottom.
Agreed. Play a Tempest Cleric whenever you feel like playing a War Cleric - yes definitely.

I guess my point is: I'd forget about actually using a melee weapon altogether as a Cleric. There isn't enough design space in between Fighters Paladins and Clerics.

Since what you want is defense, about any Cleric subclass that grants heavy armor is better than one that improves your martial fighting ability. Why? Because almost any other ability is more functional for a Cleric, a serious spellcaster class.

For a good illustration of this, consider the XGE Forge Domain. Spontaneously you might think War is better for an adventuring Cleric than some "peaceful" domain. But abilities that enhance your martial abilities are almost a trap choice (and should certainly be considered ribbon abilities). I am far from alone in thinking Blessing of the Forge and Soul of the Forge to be infinitely more useful (for a Cleric).

To be specific: I believe the designers considered the War Priest feature to be valuable. They even capped it! But in practical play its value is almost zero. The domain suffers from this, since the designers clearly tone down its other features.

Suggestion for house rules:
  1. remove heavy armor from every domain but War. This obviously shifts the problem to Tempest (Forge etc) but it does ensure War gets a niche of its own
  2. re-value War Priest to be the ribbon ability it really is. Un-restrict it, and give its uses per day to War God's Blessing to give the entire subclass extra oomph. That is:
    War Priest: use freely at-will
    War God's Blessing (not a channel divinity ability): You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier. You regain all uses when you finish a long rest.
    In summary - War Priest is at-will, sending the signal it isn't that powerful (it basically allows you to two-weapon fight while using a shield in any round you don't cast a spell. Put otherwise, you get to attack with two weapons (really one and the same) while still enjoying your +2 AC shield bonus - but the cost is that you don't get to cast a spell that round. If you look at the benefit and cost this way (getting +2 AC for not casting a spell), you should see how expensive the ability really is*, and why it quickly becomes useless)
    War God's Blessing doesn't expend your channel divinity, which frees up its use for other things (which would otherwise seldom see any use, since giving +10 to a Paladin or Rogue is obviously better than giving it to yourself)
    Finally, the entire subclass gets a very attractive 5 charges of +10 a day, which is the real upgrade here.
I'd probably use only one, not both, of these suggestions in the same campaign.

*) compare Soul of the Forge which instead of +2 AC grants you fire resistance and +1 AC and doesn't prevent you from doing your job as a Cleric aka spellcasting.

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Currently playing a War Cleric in our new group.

It is a little mechanically lackluster, but that sweet +10 to hit Channel Divinity makes it feel awesome.
I can't wait to hit sixth level, when I'll be able to share it with the other players.😎

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
[*]re-value War Priest to be the ribbon ability it really is. Un-restrict it, and give its uses per day to War God's Blessing to give the entire subclass extra oomph. That is:
War Priest: use freely at-will
In summary - War Priest is at-will, sending the signal it isn't that powerful (it basically allows you to two-weapon fight while using a shield in any round you don't cast a spell. Put otherwise, you get to attack with two weapons (really one and the same) while still enjoying your +2 AC shield bonus - but the cost is that you don't get to cast a spell that round. If you look at the benefit and cost this way (getting +2 AC for not casting a spell), you should see how expensive the ability really is*, and why it quickly becomes useless)

I agree with you that it would be fine on a single-class cleric, but I think that might make a one level War Cleric dip very strong on a martial chassis. It's giving the best feature of Polearm Master and XBE out to any weapon build, for a 1 level and 13 Wisdom cost. (And heavy armor, martial weapons, and spells on top).

VHuman War Cleric 1 with GWM or SS would be a very problematic build at low levels, especially considering you could provide your own bless.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I think it would work better along side a suite of other changes, like in your Feats thread.

Remove ads