• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

About the War Cleric......

Rossbert

Explorer
This is going to show some deep ignorance but on a deeper read I am missing what makes War worse at melee combat than other domains.

Obviously it is not as good at it an actual melee fighter, but as far as gishes go it feels solidly middle of the pack (as far as single class goes). Full armor, two chances at divine strike (if needed) while still getting a shield, limited use giant bonus to attack on top of some good buffs and other defenses. Not as defensive as a focused Bladesinger, but feels much more versatile and hard hitting than a Bladelock and way tougher than a valor bard.

It does feel a bit weird because almost all the other full caster gishes are DEX based and this one does feel heavily STR.

CapnZapp

Legend
Even worse: an extra attack from a bonus action, and only a few times a day!

Now that is miserly design...
Well... The symptom is the restrictions. The disease is thinking "granting Clerics bonus attacks is very valuable".

So the solution isn't primarily easing those restrictions. That attacks the symptoms, not the disease.

The solution is adding real power elsewhere while realizing the bonus attack is a ribbon ability at best (restrictions or no restrictions).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is going to show some deep ignorance but on a deeper read I am missing what makes War worse at melee combat than other domains.

Obviously it is not as good at it an actual melee fighter, but as far as gishes go it feels solidly middle of the pack (as far as single class goes). Full armor, two chances at divine strike (if needed) while still getting a shield, limited use giant bonus to attack on top of some good buffs and other defenses. Not as defensive as a focused Bladesinger, but feels much more versatile and hard hitting than a Bladelock and way tougher than a valor bard.

It does feel a bit weird because almost all the other full caster gishes are DEX based and this one does feel heavily STR.
In brief, the "get a few extra attacks a day using a bonus action " feature is really weak.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I just let the war clerics gain a extra attack like Valor bards ect.. instead of there stated extra attack option. I have not noticed anything wrong with it yet.

Rossbert

Explorer
In brief, the "get a few extra attacks a day using a bonus action " feature is really weak.

In theory (I always will choose an elementalist), it is pretty good. At low levels you get the extra attack sooner than the main fighters even if it is limited. At higher levels it feels like an off-hand attack for a rogue, just insurance to get AN attack to connect to get the once per turn damage (divine strike, also absorb elements comes to mind).

CapnZapp

Legend
In theory (I always will choose an elementalist), it is pretty good. At low levels you get the extra attack sooner than the main fighters even if it is limited. At higher levels it feels like an off-hand attack for a rogue, just insurance to get AN attack to connect to get the once per turn damage (divine strike, also absorb elements comes to mind).
Anyone gets an extra attack by simply picking up a second weapon.

The feature thus isn't "an extra attack" but "attacking with ability to damage while still wearing my shield".

But all of this is overshadowed (certainly past tier I) by how you can't use this in any round when you're taking the Cast Spell action.

Rossbert

Explorer
Elementalist?

A character with a focus on elemental powers. I personally prefer cold or lightning. So I lean toward tempest clerics, storm or dragon sorcerers and elemental conjuring wizards. My love of fae adds feylocks and enchanters.

So I hadn't actually played War.

CTurbo

Explorer
Again, the biggest problem with the War Priest's bonus attack is that is vastly overshadowed by a common class spell, Spiritual Weapon. Not only does Spiritual Weapon lack the restriction, it will easily out damage the War Priest attack for most of your career. I mean even if you take the attack action, it's still probably better to use your bonus action for Spiritual Weapon than War Priest.

That is sad. That means's your entire Domain is really just a very limited Guided Strike, and a 17th level Avatar of Battle, which is a good feature, but comes on so late.

I think a second attack would be appropriate. That or maybe give it access to Booming Blade from the start.

Maybe even if you just change War Priest from a bonus action to part of the attack action. You could still limit it, but it frees up your bonus action.

Obviously it needs to be in a way that doesn't make a 1-2 level War Cleric dip OP for other Martial Characters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads