Have you ever intentionally ignored a character aspect?

KenNYC

Explorer
I am playing 5e, a fighter, and I have just reached third level. At second level I got a second win and some sort of extra action power surge thing, now at third level I get to choose a martial archetype that gives me more extra actions and whatnot. The problem is I don't want the extra actions. I don't want to look at my sheet seeing what I can do, I'd rather just play my character even if he is not as powerful as the rules allow him to be. It's distracting to constantly have to check my sheet and see what I can do. I just want to be the guy.

Has anyone here ever abandoned a character power because it was intrusive and interfering with your game experience? My rules oriented friend I have a feeling won't let this sit for long, and start reminding me what I can do as an extra action every turn. I am the opposite of a min maxer I guess.

Afrodactyl

First Post
I don't ignore any class or character feature, I always jot them down and consider them, even if I never actually use them in the long run.

If you're not interested in having anything to keep track of, I'd go Champion fighter. That way you only need to remember that you have improved critical rather than tracking resources/spells/manuevers

You should put your abilities on you character sheet to keep the other players happy. However, there is no requirement that you actually use them. As already pointed out, the Champion is intended as a default easy to play fighter.

Raith5

Adventurer
You should give the 4th edition Fighter a whirl (I joke!)

I never purposely choose to not not use an ability, but when I play my barbarian I never seem to remember to use my reckless attack ability (grants adv on attacks in exchange for be granting advantage to those attacking me). It may be because 5e has a fair amount of avenues to get Advantage) but me forgetting this ability doesnt seem to gimp the character.

5ekyu

Hero
There are ways to deal with action surge other than character sheet referencing.

Start with a poker chip in hand. When you want an extra action, drop the poker chip to the gm.

If thats too intrusive, just use the poker chip on your first miss for another shot.

As for me, i make choices in character, so sub-optimal choices occur when appropriate.

In a team game, my chosing to not contribute as much as I can may hurt the other characters so while not optimizing is no big deal, routinely not even playing the base character abilities is a step beyond what i would think of as a good thing.

Champion subclass is what you need.
And I agree. Some game there is too many recharges and features to manage.
Some Classes are easier on that than others. Choose those.

schnee

First Post
Nevermind - I misread.

Like others said, choose Champion for your Fighter. Problem solved. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
It's distracting to constantly have to check my sheet and see what I can do. I just want to be the guy. . . I am the opposite of a min maxer I guess.
So, you're a role-player? You shouldn't have to reference your character sheet all the time unless your DM keeps asking you to. Which means you might look around for another RPG or GM.

Just don't be the guy who intentionally loses fights. You might face a mutiny.

Satyrn

First Post
I am playing 5e, a fighter, and I have just reached third level. At second level I got a second win and some sort of extra action power surge thing, now at third level I get to choose a martial archetype that gives me more extra actions and whatnot. The problem is I don't want the extra actions. I don't want to look at my sheet seeing what I can do, I'd rather just play my character even if he is not as powerful as the rules allow him to be. It's distracting to constantly have to check my sheet and see what I can do. I just want to be the guy.

Has anyone here ever abandoned a character power because it was intrusive and interfering with your game experience? My rules oriented friend I have a feeling won't let this sit for long, and start reminding me what I can do as an extra action every turn. I am the opposite of a min maxer I guess.

Luckily, the action surge can only be used once every rest, so it's not an every turn thing. The same with Second Wind - and that feature just lets heal a bit so you don't have to think about it.

And then, as others have alreay said, the Champion archetype is a perfect fit since it doesn't give you more things to use. It just improves a few numbers.

I think you'll be fine.

Remove ads