Lost In Space *spoilers*

CapnZapp

Legend
I came into this new Netflix show with looow expectations - basically that everybody would act stupid just to create drama. Much like "Lost, just In Space" the show.

But... it turned out I liked it. The In Space show. I hated Lost.

I like it a lot. Especially for being a wholesome family show!

I obviously knew Dr Smith should basically always act just like that, essentially trolling us all. But it turns out I don't mind being trolled by Parker Posey :)

It's really beautiful. The world, the ship and tech looks excellent. Shiny, yet not plasticky. With enough.... texture. And sometimes even actual wear.

The cast is acceptable. Posey's Dr Smith is half hilarious half sleep-acting, and still it works. The Robinson actors are obviously trying their best, just like their characters.

And that makes a world of difference. How long haven't I waited for a sci fi show where people actually work like real human beings, that is, together. And not like they do on reality tv.

I read negative criticism "too much problem-solving, not enough plot". But if problem-solving isn't plot, The Martian is plotless. I love it when the air time is spent on honest rational behavior. They actually use techno babble that sounds plausible! And the plots are such that half the time, you solve it with science and brains! What a welcome change from, say, Prometheus.

Sure enough, everybody makes at least one reality-show level decision. But even so, they make at least a token effort to rationalize it, and that's something I really appreciate. Kids being... well, kids. Mom being overprotective. Dad being a jarhead. Other colonists being, well, since they're essentially stupid and scared NPCs I don't mind.

That leaves Dr Smith. But I came into this knowing she would act all chaotic evil. She would do really well on reality soaps.

Except one thing: this is a family show, which saves the entire show for me - since she can't do anything truly heinous. Not only does she need to stay on the show, she needs to stay within the limits of the family. Which makes all the difference. On Lost, she would have found some gullible idiots to play. Here, she only has the one family. She can't really go on a murder spree, or permanently f*ck them over. So each time she goes over the abyss, she pulls herself in again, and saves not only herself and the show, but my interest as well.

So the main criticism, that people act stupid... I don't know. I expected it, but don't see it. Compared to my worst fears, everybody acts like they have at least half a brain, and that's muuuch better than my wildest dreams!

So I've seen the entire season - a good grade in itself. Now I'm actually anticipating S2 :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s not “Lost” in space. It’s a remake of the old show “Lost In Space”. It has nothing to do with Lost.

Derren

Hero
And yet people still act stupid to create drama. Especially about Smith who gets a pass for everything. Also, inconsistencies within the first minute (but I am kinda nitpicky about that).
A pretty average series with no real highlight and an annoying cast.

Hussar

Legend
I really liked it. For one it’s almost impossible to find something I want to watch with my kids so this hits the right spot right there.

And it was fun. We’ve only watched the first episode but we seem to be hooked.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I liked enough to watch the series. But there are too many instances of the sort of dumb decision making and unrealistic reactions that run the immersion for me.

If there is a second season, I do have hopes that it will be better. I think it would improve if it is more focused on just the family, lost "in space." Season 1 was basically a less well-written version Terra Nova. I want it to be specifically about the family traveling through space looking for fuel getting caught up in campy shenanigans.

Remove ads