d20 vs 2d20

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Again, what is the issue?
Isn't it wacky that the game has a single unified resolution system, except for the weird cases where it does opposed rolls instead?

The answer, of course, is "Yes, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

Satyrn

First Post
Isn't it wacky that the game has a single unified resolution system, except for the weird cases where it does opposed rolls instead?

The answer, of course, is "Yes, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

I wish Turn Undead was more like the wacky versions of previous editions.

I think the distribution does matter vs static DC exactly because it changes the probability of success and failure, if we roll 2d10 instead of 1d20, the probability of success vs high DC or failure vs low DC will be significantly smaller..
That's why I was talking about a flat d20 roll against DC 11, specifically. If you have a bonus to the roll, or if the DC is higher than 11, then rolling more dice will favor whichever result was already more probable... but probably not enough to worry about... I think...

5ekyu

Hero
That's why I was talking about a flat d20 roll against DC 11, specifically. If you have a bonus to the roll, or if the DC is higher than 11, then rolling more dice will favor whichever result was already more probable... but probably not enough to worry about... I think...
Just use the optional proficiency dice system and get even more dice involved.

:)

Fyi - i like the p-die myself.

Well the fact that the swing of possible outcomes changes is what first bothered me. A d20 has 20 possible outcomes 1 to 20. But the 2d20 difference has outcomes from -19 to +19.
The dice are an illusion. They only impact the game in as far as they determine the result of an action, and both types of action only have two possible results.

Speed of play matters in combat but not in grapple checks?
Rule simplicity is also a factor, because they want the game to be easy to learn. Grapple checks are one of those weird exceptions to the normal flow of combat which is not supposed to ever really come up. They need a rule for it, just in case, but it's too obscure of a situation to warrant defining a "passive Athletics" stat like they did with passive Perception.

The dice are an illusion. They only impact the game in as far as they determine the result of an action, and both types of action only have two possible results.

Rule simplicity is also a factor, because they want the game to be easy to learn. Grapple checks are one of those weird exceptions to the normal flow of combat which is not supposed to ever really come up. They need a rule for it, just in case, but it's too obscure of a situation to warrant defining a "passive Athletics" stat like they did with passive Perception.

Seems simple to just have a passive stat for all skills. Passive Perception is an exception only to save time. So why not save time with grapples, too?

Seems simple to just have a passive stat for all skills. Passive Perception is an exception only to save time. So why not save time with grapples, too?
I agree. They should have gone that route.

The best explanation that I can think of is that they tried that, then someone looked at a character sheet that had a whole long list of calculated passive skill values, and thought it looked too intimidating. It doesn't seem like it should be a big deal, but in terms of appearance, it looks like it adds more complexity than it really does.

Why put it on the sheet? Just say passive x is 10 + mod of x. Usually only the DM cares about the DC of these rolls so the player is just told "Make an athletics check. The DC to grapple the kraken is 23."

Or "the alligator tries to grapple you, what is your athletics?" "+3" "okay he needs to beat DC 13." Roll happens.

The passive stat never needs to be on the character sheet. (Passive perception also never needs to be on the char sheet, unless something specifically affects the passive stat. Something so rare it could be an exception.)

"and when the player is the active defender they are going to want to have a say in what happens."

So isnt that also just as relevant when he is trying to avoid a sword or a fist as an open hand shove or trip?

Having played it in 5e for quite a while with pcs always being the active party (players roll vs static npc values) i have seen no problems and yes... The players live having the active part on them, not the npcs.
Then go for it, make every roll opposed and see how long and slow your combats become. Or, remove all opposed rolls and replace with passives. Neither are going to break the mechanics.

The way it is now is a compromise.

Remove ads